Weatherby Mark V

BT_1224

I recently purchased a new Weatherby Mark V Accumark in .300 win mag. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with ammo in this rifle. I have some 180gr Federal Fusion (which work phenomenal in my Vanguard in .270 Win) and some Federal Good Medal Match 215gr Bergers. I plan on using this rifle for hunting/long range shooting.
Thanks

Unfortunately every rifle is different, even ones from the same manufacturer.
Yes, that means testing different ammunition, but that's part of the fun. It's also part of the cost.
True story. I know for certain that the 215gr Bergers are too long to feed from the magazine. I'm just wondering if the throat is big/long enough for them or if they will cause any damage to the rifle or not.

Welcome to the forum! Are you saying the factory loaded GMM with the 215's won't fit in your mag? Weatherby's tend to have a great deal of freebore. Something sounds amiss.

If it's a 9 lug you can get the longer box for the magazine. The freebore is super long for Weatherby cartridges. The 300Win mag is cut to the sammi spec which may or may not work for the 215 loads. The only way to tell would be to load the rifle and close the bolt. Best done with the firing pin and the ejector removed. Another way is using the Hornady tool to find overall length. Buy the tool the 300 win mag modified case and a box of 215 Bergers read the directions measure and check against the ammo you have.

If it's a 9 lug you can get the longer box for the magazine. The freebore is super long for Weatherby cartridges. The 300Win mag is cut to the sammi spec which may or may not work for the 215 loads. The only way to tell would be to load the rifle and close the bolt. Best done with the firing pin and the ejector removed. Another way is using the Hornady tool to find overall length. Buy the tool the 300 win mag modified case and a box of 215 Bergers read the directions measure and check against the ammo you have.
It is definitely the 9 lug. Do you know if I could buy the longer box from Weatherby or would I need to custom order it?

I have tried chambering a couple of the 215 Bergers just as a test (didn't fire the rounds)and it seems like they may work. However the rim of the cartridge was still stuck to the extractor once I pulled the bolt back.

It is definitely the 9 lug. Do you know if I could buy the longer box from Weatherby or would I need to custom order it?
Did you check to see if you have the removable piece?

Weatherby can sell you the one used for the 300 Weatherby. However, I would either post a picture here of yours, or ask them if they use the same box for the 300 Win.

Welcome to the forum! Are you saying the factory loaded GMM with the 215's won't fit in your mag? Weatherby's tend to have a great deal of freebore. Something sounds amiss.
Thank you!! Yes that is correct. The OAL of the cartridge was too long for me to chamber the rounds. I can only put 1 round in at a time

Did you check to see if you have the removable piece?

Weatherby can sell you the one used for the 300 Weatherby. However, I would either post a picture here of yours, or ask them if they use the same box for the 300 Win.
I'm not too sure. I would have to check
I'll get some pics together for you guys. It would be more helpful for y'all to see lol

Thank you!! Yes that is correct. The OAL of the cartridge was too long for me to chamber the rounds. I can only put 1 round in at a time

Thats frustrating. I have no experience with Weatherby and I guess I'm surprised that a factory loaded cartridge wouldn't fit in the magazine.