Weatherby Mark V Varmintmaster specs?

wilkup

Does anyone happen to know the dimensions of the 22-250 flavor of this rare rifle?
- Mag Box
- Bolt throw
- Action length
Curious if this will work well for longer bullets or moving to the standard 6 lug is required.

After a search I came up with the following info for the Weatherby Varmintmaster action,
Weight 32oz
Length 7.50"
Bolt Travel 3.25"
Receiver Dia. 1.100"
Bolt Dia. 0.709"

The Varmintmaster has six lugs where the magnums have or used to have 9 lugs.
Unfortunately I can't find any info regarding the magazine length.
Since the COAL for the 22-250 is 2.350" the bolt travel at 3.25" may suggest there is some room to play with.
Kiwikid

I found the bolt travel but was confused by that since the 22-250 is 2.350''. If the mag box actually matches up with that long bolt travel, it would seem possible to seat the heavy 22 rounds out pretty far and still have it cycle easily. Maybe even perform the Ackley conversion too ;) Thanks for the info kiwikid!

Last edited:
The bolt travel on the original Mark V is 4.5" and the magazine length is 3.75". If the ratio is about the same on the Varmintmaster you may only have about .25" to play with. Hopefully another member on here may have one and be able to give you better information.

Hmm... I wonder if it's percentage based (~83%) or a straight .75" difference. The only reason I'm considering the percentage idea is because the Varmintmaster is supposedly an 80% version of the full size Mark V Magnum actions.
Pulled straight from the Wikipedia site:
"The Weatherby Varmintmaster is a lighter quicker-handling version of the Weatherby Mark V. It was first offered for sale in 1963 in two barrel lengths: a 24-inch standard weight and 26-inch heavy weight. The price then was $295, same as the Mark V. Compared with the Mark V it weighs 40% less with most parts being reduced in size by 20%. The trigger assemblies are identical. Having a smaller bolt diameter, the Varmintmaster uses a six-lug locking bolt as opposed to nine for the original magnum-sized Mark V."

The Varmintmaster certainly isn't very common, I have only seen one here in New Zealand and it had been butchered. Whoever owned it had fitted a Ruger barrel to it, oh the shame! My cousin meet a guy in Alberta that has a complete collection of the Weatherby rifles including both the 22-250 and 224 WM Varminmasters. He told me they were both in mint condition. It is one rifle I have always wanted to own.

I would love to have one in 22-250, but put a 26" fluted Bartlein or Krieger chambered for 22-250 Improved. I love the Weatherby action and wood

At present I have 3 22-250s and a Ruger 220 Swift and my wife has a 22-250. My wife also has a Cooper 250 Sav AI and if the 22-250AI is anything like the 250 it would be one very cool calibre.

I found the bolt travel but was confused by that since the 22-250 is 2.350''. If the mag box actually matches up with that long bolt travel, it would seem possible to seat the heavy 22 rounds out pretty far and still have it cycle easily. Maybe even perform the Ackley conversion too ;) Thanks for the info kiwikid!
My Varmintmaster 22-250 measures 2 1/2" inside the top of the box.

Recent Posts