Weatherby Mark V ?'s

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Big_Tex22, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Big_Tex22

Big_Tex22 Active Member

I have a buddy that wants to trade his mark 5 in 7 rem mag for one of my shotguns. The rifle is nice, beautiful stock, bolt face and barrell seem like it hasn't been shot much. Took it to the range and it shoots great, especially well for the cheap scope he has on it and cheap factory ammo. Think I could easily shrink down groups and stretch this gun out to be a good long range thumper with some load tuning and new glass.

Thing is I have zero experience with weatherby rifles, they always look nice on the shelf at the gun shop but the price tag seems to scare me and everyone I know away from them. Do they keep their trade value, and when I get ready to rebarrel is the action going to be a good one to throw a new tube on?

Anyway, trading an 1100 for it that I shoot once a year on opening day of dove season, and have other spray guns that I can miss with just as easy!

Thanks

2. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

make the trade, and never look back
    gary

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

+1
    They are great rifles and easy to customize.

Also it is worth more than the 1100.

J E CUSTOM

4. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

they ae the strongest non-custom action out there. 60* bolt throw, very solid, and in my experience very smooth. only downer is availibility of drop-in stocks. Do it before he changes his mind.

5. Redtail204

Redtail204 Active Member

Don't even think about it... a Rem 1100 for a WBY Mark V???? ...Go on take the rifle and run!!!!

6. Big_Tex22

Big_Tex22 Active Member

Thanks guys you've eased my conscience on the trade. I felt I'd be fine as far as value, only reason I'd hold on the the 1100 is sentimental as my dad gave it to me, but I know I'd shoot this rifle a lot more than I do the 12 ga. And already looking into a barrel and rechamber, or even play with the 7mm a little.

So, any good 7 RM pet loads ya'll have had luck with?

Thanks

7. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

contrary to what Bob Greenleaf says the Mark V action is the strongest current production bolt gun period except for a couple 50 caliber actions. The only action that was stronger is a Brevex Mauser, and you can buy three Mark V's for the price of a nice core Brevex. The real problem with the Mark V is that when useing extremely high recoil rounds (.460 etc.) you have to be carefull of driving the bullet back into the case (all magazine rifles will do this by the way), so a super tight crimp is imperative.

There are drop in stocks built for them, but have only seen a couple wood stocks over the years. Build yourself a nice .300 or a .340 Weatherby, and have a lot of fun!
    gary

Ackley has said in the past that the 7mm Weatherby may well be the best 7mm round ever concieved. The action will easilly handle the 7STW.

8. Buano

Buano Well-Known Member

If you don't take it I'll buy an old 1100 & swap him! He wants a shotgun he'll use & is willing to give up a rifle he apparently doesn't use. Seems like he'll get what he's looking for while you get a great rifle.

Weatherby rifles aren't perfect for every shooter & every type of hunting, but I'll take one in good condition in a heartbeat.