Weatherby Mark V long range build?

I'm in the mud hole with you and MR. It's a stout as hell action proven the world over.

More than anything it's just a matter of finding a gunsmith familiar with and content to work on that particular action.

I sent my Mark V action up to Benchmark Barrels to get rebarreled. I have been very happy...

I sent my Mark V action up to Benchmark Barrels to get rebarreled. I have been very happy...
I would not hesitate a minute to do business with Chris. He's probably going to do my next build for me and it very well may be my last.

I like having a light/heavy pair in every caliber I own and the only one left is the Heavy in .375Ruger.

As many as he's done for people I have yet to ever see or hear anything at all negative about him from his customers and in this business that says a lot.

There's just no body more persnickety and hard to please than people like us.

He my long range built I just did with my weatherby. It a 300 weatherby "bore rider" it has a stepped throat like the +P. It shooting 230gr Bergers at 3036 with a 30" hart barrel. It has a near 30 rail and a muscle break with a night force nxs 5x22x56 scope

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 152
Thank you for all of the responses. It has given me a lot to think about. I guess that it is safe to say the Mark V action would be great to build off of. Now I have a decision to make. I have a friend that really wants to buy this rifle. He is not a long range person. He would leave it as is and just shoot it. I have always wanted a full custom rifle. This would give me some extra funds to get started with. Its always something...:rolleyes:

if you sell your weatherby, you can get a rem 700 long range cheaply there is a 100$ rebate. a good place to start.

I have three customs built on the Mark V, 22-250, 300 Dakota and 300 RUM. All shoot great with McMillan & Brux. Don't hesitate a minute building on a Weatherby Mark V...

I picked up a new Mark V Fibermark for less than $600 on a Christmas clearance a few months ago. It's now at Straight Shooter Supply getting a Proof Research 28" bbl chambered in 338 Lapua and a McM thumbhole. I've got high hopes for this build.

This is a .338-378 that I built. MK5, Douglas barrel, Timney trigger and a Leupold .65-20. Group is .224" Probably my best ever. I have taken one bull at 702 yards with it and a friend took a moose at 350 yards.

Attachments

• IMAG1904.jpg
    IMAG1904.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 171
  • IMAG1899.jpg
    IMAG1899.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 150
Been there. MkV action, Shilen Barrel,.300 WM, Huskamaw 5x20 LR scope. McMillian A-5 stock. 1/12" twist. Do yourself a favor and go 1/10" for the heavier bullets. Just starting to work up some loads. Kempfeld Customs did my barrel & receiver work. Great guy to work with. Griz

Attachments

• IMG_20151010_123928134.jpg
    IMG_20151010_123928134.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 142
300 win mag built on a mark V. Broughton barrel, timney trigger, russo stock. Superbly accurate and the mark V action is very good.
Go for it!

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_2766.jpg
    IMG_2766.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2750.jpg
    IMG_2750.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2757.jpg
    IMG_2757.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 169
I've built some 338 Lapua AI's on the MK5 and all have been boring accurate at long range!!! Even fire forming rounds were excellent with a 300 gr Berger jambed I've seen them group in the .1's which was amazing to see, had to move the scope a couple times to believe it!

338 Texan built by JE Custom. Mark V stainless action, 31' Brux barrel, Assassin muzzle brake, target thumbhole laminate stock. Arguably the strongest factory action made. Incredibly acurrate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 145
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.