Weatherby Mark V Build?

lhedrick1

Frequent guest and just joined the forum today. Do quite a bit of shooting, reloading and western hunting.

I have a 1989 Weatherby Mark V in .300 Weatherby that just wont shoot. I've since substituted the heavy magnum with a Fierce Fury in .300 Win mag that will put 200 gr Partitions in a 1"- 1 1/2" group @ 200 yards with a heavy dose of RL25. My question is has anyone had success doing a rifle build on a Mark V action? I am obviously limited to a magnum cartridge for a re-barrel/rechamber but wondering if I am better off selling or if it is worthwhile to attempt a build.

Our (Dad and I) notable shooters that give us consistent sub MOA groups:

Montana Rifle in .280 AI 160 gr AB and the 146 gr Hammer
Fierce Fury in .300 Win Mag 200 gr Partition and 150 gr Barnes TTSX
Weatherby Mark V Ultra Light weight in 6.5 Creed 121gr Hammer and 140 gr SST
Remington 700 in .270 Win 130 gr Berger VLD
Honorable Mention: 1948-ish? Win model 70 in .257 Bob, 100 gr BT, 98 gr Hammer and 110gr factory AB.

Thanks for all the info over the years!

Laramie

Brux Number 4. I honestly don't know what he did to the action if anything. Just chambered and installed the barrel, added their hunter brake and then bedded into a bell and Carson stock. Cheaper build but very accurate.

I am in the process of building on a mark V action. Was a 270 wby mag switching it to a 270 WSM. I wanted to run the 170 Berger's and didn't like how much case capacity I lost due to COAL limitations. My smith has had any trouble except get original barrel off, I guess Weatherby torques them really tight. It should be done in a couple weeks, I'll give you a report and let you know how it does. I went with a 26" Brux rem var contour, Kelbly brake and an AG composites stock. Really excited to see how it does. I'd say put a barrel on it in something you want and don't look back.

I am in the process of building on a mark V action. Was a 270 wby mag switching it to a 270 WSM. I wanted to run the 170 Berger's and didn't like how much case capacity I lost due to COAL limitations. My smith has had any trouble except get original barrel off, I guess Weatherby torques them really tight. It should be done in a couple weeks, I'll give you a report and let you know how it does. I went with a 26" Brux rem var contour, Kelbly brake and an AG composites stock. Really excited to see how it does. I'd say put a barrel on it in something you want and don't look back.

Did not know you could get an AG Composite for a Weatherby. Please do let me know how it turns out. My gun might shoot again yet.....

Did not know you could get an AG Composite for a Weatherby. Please do let me know how it turns out. My gun might shoot again yet.....
The Weatherby action will fit but AG doesn't inlet for the Mark V, my Smith is inletting it, installing pillars and bedding. Was going to use original Weatherby stock but heavier barrel channel was going to make forearm weak I feared.

There will be varying opinions from good gunsmiths as to the strength factor of the Mark V.
That said, i have one chambered in 300 Norma with a 30" barrel, and it is my favorite of all my guns to use for the type long range hunting we do. I wont argue that a Rem action might be strong enough for that cartridge, but i feel the larger diameter bolt has advantages, especially with open bottom actions.

I have my .257 Roy done on a bee action. They are great for builds. Stocks are a bit limited but as far as the action they are very good.

I had a .257 Roy in a 26" Mark V. Should have never sold it. It was a tack driver. Thinking a rebarrel to either a .264 Win Mag, 300 Win mag or the 300 PRC. Just not sure what I want; I heavy long range target gun or a hunting rifle

Go bigger either 300 win or PRC make use of that great action strength.
Even better do a 30 Sherman. I just had one built. PRC improved. Great brass from Sherman and gain enough speed to make it worth goin guy from a 300 win mag.

I had my .340 Wby Mk V rebarreled with a Lilja barrel, brake added, and cerakoted. It shoots 1/2 inch groups with Barnes 225 TTSX. Work was done by Rich Reilly at Hi Tech Custom Rifles in Colorado Springs, CO 719-667-1090. I was really happy with the result of his work.

I had a .257 Roy in a 26" Mark V. Should have never sold it. It was a tack driver. Thinking a rebarrel to either a .264 Win Mag, 300 Win mag or the 300 PRC. Just not sure what I want; I heavy long range target gun or a hunting rifle
Depends upon the type hunting you do.
Maybe to clarify, i should say the way you go about long range hunting.
For eastern long range hunting at least you will be limited to hunting from a fixed location, usually close to your vehicle.
So why not a rifle that is more comfortable to shoot and by and large capable of better accuracy?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.