Weatherby Mark V Accumark

There are better ways to spend $2K on a rifle. I owned one from 2008-2014....My expereience was not a positive one, to say the least.

You can build a custom rifle on a Rem 700 (or something else if you prefer) that will shoot better for the same money, compared to a factory rifle that only comes with a 1.5" @ 100 guarantee...

That is just my opinion.

Also, your caliber choices are good. I would pick the 7mm RemMag (personal preference), but I have both, and you can't go wrong with either.

I can't give any advice on the Weatherby, but if I was to choose a caliber it would be the 300 win mag. I also own both and had the 7mm rem mag first and later built a 300 win mag and I'm very happy with it. The win mag is hard to beat when it's loaded with the 215 berger.
Good Luck,
Jon

Would Weatherby Mark V Accumark make a good long range rifle? And trying to decide between 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag?

The Mark 5 action is one of the best factory actions available and is capable of fine accuracy.

I build most of my magnum 338s on them and all of the large case head cartridges like the Lapua
(anything larger than the magnum bolt face) on the Mark 5 action because of there size, strength and quality.

For what you want to build however, I would recommend the Remington 700 action because of available parts and stocks.

Both the Mark 5 and the Remington 700 actions are good ones to build on, the Mark 5 is more expensive and fewer Smiths will work on them and the Mark 5 is not necessary for the cartridges you want to shoot.

PS: the Mark 5 is my favorite action. It has everything, looks, strength, long mag well and is very well machined.

J E CUSTOM

I have a Browning X Bolt Long Range Hunter carbon fiber. I am thinking of trading it, because I don't know if the detachable magazine will allow me to use the heavier Berger bullets like the 215 or 230 grain.

There are better ways to spend $2K on a rifle.

Also, your caliber choices are good. I would pick the 7mm RemMag (personal preference), but I have both, and you can't go wrong with either.

Seen them on GB for 1600.00. And many shoot much better than 1.5. I have had a weatherby in the past and was sub 1". But I have read you did have a bad experience and understand your feelings. But lots of very good ones out there also.

7mm mag. Absolutely

Like JE said their actions are extremely strong and smooth.

Best of luck

Like JE, I'm a Mark V lover so yes I am biased that way.

I live in Weatherby Town (Paso Robles, CA) so parts and service are non-issue. I have a local smith who will thread and chamber barrels but is teaching me to do my own.

But

For your application, a Mark V might be overkill Price and strength wise.

I visit Weatherby often enough to know that they are concerned with the +MOA accuracy question in the Mark V line. We, who use and work on Mark Vs, know the issue is the barrel and forend barrel pad. Changing out the factory barrel, bedding and floating usually do wonders for the rifle. The only place this seems to not work is with #1 profile barrels. They seem to benefit from the dampening of the whip when touching a pad. Go figure.

The Accumark is bedded and floated by the factory and uses a #3 profile fluted barrel. I believe at this time they are Criterion button rifled, fluted.

A Mark V should shoot. Mud had problems and as with anything there variations from item to item. Happens with all manufacturer, not just firearms though it is more obvious with a firearm.

So yes, I would go with a Weatherby Mark V but as a recommendation, look at the Tikka and Browning as well. I've been behind the trigger on a Tikka T3 (lite) in 308 and it shot the cheapest non-surplus ammo into a small cloverleaf at 100 yards.

Share if you dare, what your choose for your fare.

Deerhntr71 I really like the Mark V Accumark I have 4 and had a 5th I wish I never parted with all shoot 1/2 moa. 3 of them with little development and 2 with a little more. My 257 wby was a little more than the others its stellar with 115's and H1000 now.

My 300 win mag is the latest of the lot and after reading the advice of more than a few members on this forum it is one sweet shooting firearm with heavier bullets 180 and above.

Depending on your usage I think the Accumark is a good candidate and either of your caliber choices are good. The actions are strongest out there and for the most part are a little smoother than the 700. Sometimes you can have minor problems with the upper part of the trigger that can make the action on the WBY a bit sticky.

All that said I would not pay more than approx 1500.00 for one any more than that and I think they're a bit over priced. Only 1 of my Accumarks was bought new. My 300 was bought from a good friend with 18 rounds through it.

You cannot beat the availability of components for the 700 remington though and the 700 is certainly more popular than the WBY.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

71, a Mark V is minimum $1500 with a light sporter barrel with the Accumark over $2000. You can build a darned nice rifle for that on a Remington action. I think you could save some $$$ with the build. I only own Weatherbys which I purchased for their caliber and classic style. Good luck and be happy with your choice.

I don't think I am biased toward the Mark V for no reason. I have a two Savages. a Klienguenther, a custom and a Mark V. Along the way I loaded for three Mark v's. The first was a .340 that would regularly fire 3/4" groups with 210 Partitions running 3,212 feet per second. The second was a 7 Wea Mag. I could put five Nosler 150 Ballistic Tip in a 1" group at 100 yards and five of my home made 140's into 1/2" groups!! The third was a .340 and the best I could do with it was 1 1/8" for three shots. My son-in-law put three into 1" and would not fire it anymore.

Then I purchased a .257 Wea for myself. After one season I sold it because it was too heavy and purchased the Mark V Ultra Light .25-06; which is the Mark V mentioned above. I rebarreled it and while working up a load fired three three shot groups on one target. The "group" measured .8". I didn't fool with anymore workup.

The small Mark V action weighs only 26 ounces.

New guy here with my 2 cents worth. I feel you can't go wrong with the markv accumark. Think about this for a minute. The mark v accumark comes nearly as close to a custom job as you will find. Bell and Carlson stock with aluminum bedding plate, decelerator recoil pad, buttoned rifled #3 contour free floated fluted stainless barrel with recessed target crown, one of the smoothest strongest actions available; and if you desire, accubrake muzzle brake that tames recoil down to unbelievable levels. Having said all of that; I own 2 mark v accumarks, one in .30-378 weath. mag that routinely shoots 3 shot groups 1/2" or under at 100 yds. with my tightest group at .315 using 180 gr. Nosler bal. tips. The other is in the .338-378 weath. mag. that I haven't had the opportunity to work with yet, but looking forward to. My one daughter also has the accumark in .30-378 weath. mag. that shoots 1/2" and under also. These rifles out to 400 yds. shoot 3 shot groups 1" or less when we do our part. The only thing we had done to these accumarks was a trigger job done by Neil Jones of Sagertown Pa. As to what cartridge to recommend, I would lean toward the 300wm if their your only considerations. I would personally go with the .300 weath. mag. having similar experience with that cartridge in mark v's. With enough scope you'll run with the big dogs. Weatherby with out a doubt will stand behind their rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.