Weatherby Magazine

BT_1224

I was wondering if you can switch out the internal mag box, spring and follower on a Weatherby Mark V? I would like to be able to shoot rounds that have the bullet seated out further. Here is a couple of pics of what my magazine box looks like. I got some measurements and it looks like the mag box is about 3.5 inches long and the follower looked to be about 3.3 inches.

Thanks

Attachments

• 5E28B5C7-6CC0-4B2D-B89E-759E6F5AEC9F.jpeg
    5E28B5C7-6CC0-4B2D-B89E-759E6F5AEC9F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 132
  • 1EC7BC0C-D323-4EDC-AFCB-5DB255B09B42.jpeg
    1EC7BC0C-D323-4EDC-AFCB-5DB255B09B42.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 122
  • D18E94DD-453F-473C-AB51-6C983CA0CC88.jpeg
    D18E94DD-453F-473C-AB51-6C983CA0CC88.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 121
What caliber is it now? My guess is shorter than a 300 Wby.
Short answer is yes...and no.
You can remove the metal plate near the rear of the magazine to make it longer. However, you then have to have the bolt stop machined to be able to use this now-longer magazine. In effect, you're changing your bolt and magazine from a 257/270/7mm configuration to a 300/340 configuration. I have done this with one of my 7mm Wby rifles.

The challenge is finding someone who will machine the bolt stop for you without charging you excessive $.

You can remove the metal plate near the rear of the magazine to make it longer. However, you then have to have the bolt stop machined to be able to use this now-longer magazine. In effect, you're changing your bolt and magazine from a 257/270/7mm configuration to a 300/340 configuration. I have done this with one of my 7mm Wby rifles.

The challenge is finding someone who will machine the bolt stop for you without charging you excessive $.
It's a 300 Win Mag. A friend loaded me a few rounds with the 212 ELD-X and they measure 3.4" OAL. They fit but when trying to chamber a round it feels like the plastic tip is catching on the inside of the magazine.

Dr Vette, by bolt stop are you referring to the "channel" on the bolt?
He will also need the 300WBY follower, Weatherby sell those real cheap

Just wondering, what is "excessive $"? Set-up time and cut time are charged the same rate. One-off work is always more expensive than running a 'batch' of the same part.
I had a quote that started at $150 and then went up based on time.

I found a gunsmith then who did it for "free" but I gave him payment for the favor.

If you happen to know a machinist with the right tools, they might do it as well.

I did this to a mk v in 300 win mag just as vetted said. Mag box follower and an extremely easy mill cut. Worked perfectly.
So I would need a 300 WBY magazine, follower and have a gunsmith machine the bolt stop and make a cut for the bigger magazine?

So I would need a 300 WBY magazine, follower and have a gunsmith machine the bolt stop and make a cut for the bigger magazine?
No, your current magazine just needs the baffle removed, and the stock is already cut to fit it. They did not make different stocks for the 257/270/7mm vs the 300/340 size, they just put the baffle in the shorter magazine so shorter cartridges would feed OK, and used the shorter bolt stop location.