Weatherby Barrel Swap

edg1966

I have a kind of dumb question so please excuse my stupidity. If I have a Vanguard in .30-06 and would like to either re-chamber/re-bore it to .338-06 or re-barrel it. I see a couple take-offs on GunBroker that are from Ultralights. Could I just screw one of these on without too much extra work/expense or are they not compatible? If so, what does it typically cost for this type of swap? And, if anyone has done this, are there any feed issues? Thanks!

You can't just take any barrel and screw it on. You need to headspace check every barrel. Pre-fit style work differently, you use a barrel but on them.

What you need to do is order a new barrel, and have a smith bore a chamber in it and headspace it. Yes, it will cost you $4-500, but it will work correctly.

The Ultralights you see are from a Mark V; you have a Vanguard. They're two different models with different threads, etc.

If you like your rifle, JES Reboring has a very good reputation for being able to take a 30-06 like yours and make a 338-06.

Dr Vette is a Weatherby enthusiast.
I am a Weatherby enthusiast.

We both have Mark Vs and Vanguards so we speak truth.

You can not use a barrel from an Ultralight Mark V in a Vanguard.

Re boring is a viable option, especially if your rifle shoots well as a 30-06. I have never re bored a rifle because none of the barrels worked well enough to value them that much.

Rebarreling is the recommended option but you have to use a new barrel as there are no "take off" barrels that will fit a Vanguard except those from a Vanguard, Howa 1500, Mossberge 1500 or Winchester 1500.

My recommendation is to get a "prefit" barrel from a reliable maker who with thread it for the Vanguard and perhaps short chamber it. I have 3 barrels from Pac-Nor for my Vanguards. The shoot, the fit. The smith charged me very little to remove the old one and install the new one. Of course I would use Pac-Nor again.

Dr Vette is a Weatherby enthusiast.

You can not use a barrel from an Ultralight Mark V in a Vanguard.

I avoided this for a reason. You could use the ultralight barrel IF there it enough extra to set it back, cut new threads and ream a new chamber. But there just probably won't be enough.

You can get a .338 blank for $200, then have a smith fit it for you. That is your best bet for a good shooting barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.