Weatherby action good enough?

Laelkhunter

I have a Weatherby Mark V rifle in .340 Wby. It has a new HS Precision Stock. Have had it since 1988, and have taken several Bulls with it, so I would like to salvage it if possible. The barrel is gone (as in shot out-throat erosion).

I would like to use the action and stock to start a build for a long range shooter. Plans are for a Lilja Stainless Match Barrel.

I haven't seen anyone mention the Weatherby actions, so my question is, would the Weatherby action be a good starting point or should I just start from scratch??

I would like to leave it a .340 Weatherby due to $$$$ invested in dies, bullets, brass, factory ammo, etc.

Primary use would be chasing Elk through the Rockies.

Thanks

Your Mark V action is far better than a R700 or most of the custom clones.

I build all my rifles on Mark Vs.

If you like the 340Wby. Stay with it. You will have to rework your loads.

Your Mark V action is far better than a R700 or most of the custom clones.

You will have to rework your loads.

I was wondering about that. If the chamber is cut to the factory .340 Wby dimensions, would it be safe to shoot Factory loads from it? Or would I have to have the gunsmith "freebore" it to allow for the pressure of the Factory loads?

I was wondering about that. If the chamber is cut to the factory .340 Wby dimensions, would it be safe to shoot Factory loads from it? Or would I have to have the gunsmith "freebore" it to allow for the pressure of the Factory loads?
Chambered to "factory" dimensions, of course it will shoot factory ammo. Your smith should know the dimensions of the reamer. If it needs to have the throat pushed out to match Weatherby freebore then that's his job.

Oh and the Mark V action could handle the pressure anyway.:D

I guess what I meant to ask was, if the chamber is cut to Wby Factory dimensions, does it automatically cut the free bore throat as the Weatherby Factory does, or is that something extra my gunsmith will have to do?

I guess what I meant to ask was, if the chamber is cut to Wby Factory dimensions, does it automatically cut the free bore throat as the Weatherby Factory does, or is that something extra my gunsmith will have to do?
If the reamer is really Wby dimensions then it's automatic.

I occasionally come across a Mark V that is pretty well beat to death but has a good action. Would it be worth buying it for the action and rechamber it for something else?

I still have a 340wby in action,last 25 yrs.Taken lots of game son is using now ,wears a Lone wolf stock,a rebarrel is in its future.Seen several Mark v builds on this forum that shot well

I occasionally come across a Mark V that is pretty well beat to death but has a good action. Would it be worth buying it for the action and rechamber it for something else?
Yes.

I usually recbarrel beaters. I will rechamber if the barrel is good but not what I want for a chambering. One of the current 300Wbys is going to become a 300RUM. The 7mmWby that is on its way is going to become a 28-Nosler.

Stocks can be refinished or replaced. The Bell & Carlson Medalist or Tactical Medalist is the way to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.