Weatherby accumark 338 lapua

jskmtd

Just wondering from you guys that own or have owned one of these rifles what you think/thought of them. Also wondering what accuracy, velocity, and what bullet and powder.
Thanks,
Jon

I own 5 Weatherby Accumarks and traded another. All have shot sub .05 moa with a little development 3 will shoot .025 moa for 5 shots.

I have not owned a 338 Lapua magnum but if I wanted a factory built long range rig in 338 LM I would seriously consider the Accumark. I find the B&C Medalist stock really comfortable to get behind. The 26 and 28" bbl's are not for off hand shooting though.

Bed the recoil lug in the stock it helps. The new models come with a small amount of bedding material in the lug recess.

I wish I never traded the 300 wby and 3 of these rifles I would never consider parting with.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

After owning an Accumark (.257 Wby Mag) from 2008 to late 2014, save your money and headache and build a custom rifle in the caliber you want. Mine shot at best 1.5" with handloads. 2.5" with factory ammo.

Most will disagree with that statement, because most are either supporters or misinformed. I used to be a supporter and misinformed until mine had some major issues that shouldn't have happened. Then my eyes were opened to what you really get for $2,100... You'd be better off building a full-on custom rifle on a custom action for about $500 more.

After owning an Accumark (.257 Wby Mag) from 2008 to late 2014, save your money and headache and build a custom rifle in the caliber you want. Mine shot at best 1.5" with handloads. 2.5" with factory ammo.

Most will disagree with that statement, because most are either supporters or misinformed. I used to be a supporter and misinformed until mine had some major issues that shouldn't have happened. Then my eyes were opened to what you really get for $2,100... You'd be better off building a full-on custom rifle on a custom action for about $500 more.

Wow! you really changed your tune on Weatherby's. Before long you'll be joining the 30 cal club :)

+1 on what Mud says.

No factory rifle is worth that much $$$$ when you can get a custom for a little more.

I will never buy another factory long gun, unless I'm getting it for the action (or AR types) and it would be the cheapest used price I could get.

Wow! you really changed your tune on Weatherby's. Before long you'll be joining the 30 cal club :)

+1 on what Mud says.

No factory rifle is worth that much $$$$ when you can get a custom for a little more.

I will never buy another factory long gun, unless I'm getting it for the action (or AR types) and it would be the cheapest used price I could get.

I have 4 or 5 .30 cal rifles... They will still never beat the 7mm, IMO...Except for my .300 Ackley, it's just a monster. But that's just my opinion.

I have a 300 weatherby accumark and I like it it shoots .50 MOA at 100. I put down an elk at 1168 with it last year. I have had the rifle for three years now and I am putting a new Bartlein barrel on it because of the following. Too much freebore I can not come close to the lands the bullet would have to be coal of 4.105 to reach it. The barrel has to be cleaned after every 4th shot because the groups will start opening up that's with letting the barrel cool between shots. I like the B&C stock and you can find the rifle without the wait and a 4-5k price tag. If you can find a used custom rifle with low round count I was say that would be my first choice but if not the accumark is not a bad choice either because you can always put a new custom barrel on it for an extra $500.

Thanks for the reply's guys. You can get the accumark for around $1850 so I'm not sure you can build a custom for another $500. If you can please steer me in the right direction.
Thanks,
Jon

The new Remington 700 Long Range could be an option. They have B&C stocks, 26" heavy barrels, and are available in 7mm Remington Mag, .300 Winchester, and .300 RUM. All of these shells are great long range cartridges. These rifles can be picked up from anywhere around $650-800. Spend the extra $1200 you save by buying the Remington on good optics. I have one backordered in .300 Win. so can't personally attest to the accuracy, but have read multiple reports that they shoot ½ MOA out of the box. You could also look into a Sendero, they're chambered for the same shells, but have HS stocks and a stainless barreled action with straight flutes cut into the barrel, these run about $1200-1300. Just giving you some ideas and options buddy. gun)

Thanks for the reply's guys. You can get the accumark for around $1850 so I'm not sure you can build a custom for another $500. If you can please steer me in the right direction.
Thanks,
Jon
It's possible, you just gotta know where to look and gotta buy when you find good deals. You also have to find a good smith that doesn't charge you rediculous prices.

You can easily build a custom rifle for $2,000...$2,500 with a better stock like a Manners or McMillan.

I have a semi-custom 300 win mag now that shoots great. I would like to try a 338 lapua out and to get a action with the lapua bolt face for the custom build costs $$$$.
Jon

Jon,

A Stiller TAC338 is 1130 from Bugholes, a barrel runs 380-465 for a Bartlein depending on if you use a 1.350" shank or a 1.25", a stock can be from 200 for a B&C to 800 for a McMillian, a trigger is 120-220, and bottom metal is 100-300+. That's 1930.00 on the low end without labor and 2915.00 or so on the high end without labor. If your willing to do some stock work you should be able to get the metal work done for under 500.00 without any coating. So on the low end that puts you pretty close to 500 over the Weatherby. I'd do that in a heartbeat over buying a Weatherby or any factory gun.

If it was me I'd do a Edge or a 338 Norma off of a Rem. 700 action. and save yourself even more. Or you could do the Edge off of a Stiller TAC300 action and save 125.00. I personally think a Edge is a little more accurate than a Lapua but the brass is a PITA to find and is no where near the quality of Lapua.

Nathan,
I would rather have the custom as well. The likely hood of it shooting well and cleaning up easy are a lot better. Those priced on the low end look doable. I can gather piece as I can afford to. Thanks for the input.
Jon

I have reamers for both and have built both calibers (338 Edge and 338 Lapua) and the accuracy from the Edge has been better. If I was going to do a Lapua it would be a improved. I built a buddy a 338 Edge on a Benchmark barrel that shot groups from .150" to .5" the very first time he shot it using Bergers and R-33. If you used a Remington action for a Edge you'd save several hundred dollars as well.

After seeing the accuracy of my 30-338 Norma Imp. (and the fact that I own a Edge already) I would consider a 338 Norma Imp. as well. The brass is usually available, it's better quality than anything but Bertram brass in a Edge or Lapua brass for the Lapua, the shorter length makes it much easier to magazine feed (2.5" case length), the steeper shoulder angle is nice to minimize trimming, and the capacity is basically a wash with a Edge. The downer is custom dies and reamers but good dies aren't cheap no matter the caliber and a Edge is a wildcat anyway. If I build another 338 it's most likely going to be a Norma Imp. for the above reasons and the fact that I have 1300 423 Dakota cases made by Lapua that are perfect for the 338 Norma Imp. 100 of those cases would probably wear a barrel out. With R-33 the Edge and Norma Imp. are relatively close to the speed of the Lapua Imp.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.