Weatherby accumark .338 Lapua Decision

Damo450

Hello all. I recently ran across a rifle/scope combo I am thinking hard about buying. Its a weatherby MKV accumark with the NON-FLUTED barrel, Accubrake, all blued. The rifle has a Nightforce NXS 5.5-25x50 with 20MOA night force base and night force extreme duty rings. Price is $2500 OTD. Smoking deal. I own a .257 Ackley, 25-06, 22-250, 220 swift, .223 and I have wanted for sometime a dedicated big *** hunting rifle. I have gotten rid of all my mid range guns such as 270, 30-06, and my .338 win mag even, as I always grab my .257. This would be an elk hammer and seems a good deal. My only issue is that I hate muzzle brakes. Anyone here own one? Shoot good? Thanks.

Hello all. I recently ran across a rifle/scope combo I am thinking hard about buying. Its a weatherby MKV accumark with the NON-FLUTED barrel, Accubrake, all blued. The rifle has a Nightforce NXS 5.5-25x50 with 20MOA night force base and night force extreme duty rings. Price is $2500 OTD. Smoking deal. I own a .257 Ackley, 25-06, 22-250, 220 swift, .223 and I have wanted for sometime a dedicated big *** hunting rifle. I have gotten rid of all my mid range guns such as 270, 30-06, and my .338 win mag even, as I always grab my .257. This would be an elk hammer and seems a good deal. My only issue is that I hate muzzle brakes. Anyone here own one? Shoot good? Thanks.
I understand issues w/muzzle brakes, I have always hated them as well. The blast directed to the sides, the loudness of the muzzle report, etc. I don't own an Accubrake equipped rifle, but I had a semi custom built in 338-378 Weatherby. I had a 34in Lilja barrel and was not going to install a brake at all, thinking the rifle would be heavy enough that recoil would not bother me. However after shooting a guy's 30-378 MKV , maybe even accumark, w/Accubrake, I decided, at dang near the last minute, to have the builder install a brake from Darrel Holland. My heavy arsed rifle, with a brake, (one of the more efficient brakes at that) STILL kisses me if I'm not paying attention. I am now a believer in brakes. My rifle is a pleasure to shoot, and I recommend a muzzle brake to anyone who asks. I DON'T like radial brakes, as the blast REALLY kicks up crap in the prone position, and I don't think that the Accubrake is very efficient, as that guy's 30-378 pounded the crap out of me, but I am confident that it was better than NO brake ! Hope this helps.

morning, I use Vias brakes. have for years. I have a accu-brake on my
340 accu-mark. a real pleasure to shoot. I shoot the 210 barnes bullet.
a real good hunting rifle and caliber. I gave a friend of mine a custom
made rem. 721 rebarreled to 7mmWSM. 28" #5 contour hart barrel with a
Vias brake. this person loves the rifle and caliber. the Vias brake ports
r in the face and sides of the brake. drilled at a forward angle.
absolutely no complaints TUM

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.