Weatherby 6.5 RPM?

There is not a large market for ANY Weatherby clambering.
I think the 300 weatherby would be an exception to that statement. A lot of people I know run those for elk. Plenty of power for elk unlike the fad overhyped and underpowered 6.5s everyone is buying these days. I would rather have a 264 Win than a creed or a PRC. What I'm saying is a large market means nothing really. A lot of people hunt elk with them but they will always be under powered for elk. Just my opinion

I would imagine there are 10k-20k Remingtons for every Holland&Holland rifle out there. Maybe 100K, maybe more. I am just guessing. But you can never convince me they are better than a good old H&H. Production numbers does not equal quality. I own twice as many Winchesters Model 70 CRF as I do Weatherby MK V. Only own one Remingto rifle and one Remington shotgun. All you have to do is hold them in your hands (Win or WBY) to know you holding quality. The AK47 was the most produced military rifle. Can it compete with M16 in long range? Can either of them compete with the Swiss STG? Again, quantity does not mean something is better...just means its cheap to make! All of you who talk so highly of your Remington 700, what percentage is Remington? All of those who compete and claim to win with the Remington 700, what percentage is Remington, if ANY at all! You want to drive a Kia...drive a Kia, just dont tell me its the best car out there....

"J. Dave",
Many of the 6.5 rounds are NOT underpowered for elk.
Ex.-> My 6.5 PRC will take a bull elk within 400 yards using a 143 gr. Hornady ELD-X cartridge from my Browning X-Bolt Pro. and the 6.5 Weatherby will do the same at the least at 500 yards.
As a competitive shooter (yes, 6.5 CM) who shoots to 1,100 yards I feel confident that my 6.5 PRC hunting cartridge and rifle with a Bushnell 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope with G3 small Xmas tree reticle can do the job using my range finding binoculars if I keep within an ethical 400 yards for elk.

i had a Browning A-Bolt stainless .300 Wing and sold it for the 6.5PRC X-Bolt Pro. I feel I have a good round for any big game in Nevada and most of the mountain west (not including grizzly bear).
Eric B.

Last edited:
"J. Dave",
Many of the 6.5 rounds are NOT underpowered for elk.
Ex.-> My 6.5 PRC will take a bull elk within 400 yards using a 143 gr. Hornady ELD-X cartridge from my Browning X-Bolt Pro. and the 6.5 Weatherby at least at 500 yards.

i had a Browning A-Bolt stainless .300 Wing and sold it for the 6.5PRC X-Bolt Pro. I feel I have a good round for any big game in Nevada and most of the mountain west (not including grizzly bear).
Eric B.
People seem to forget that the 6.5 Swede shooting nothing heavier than 160gr has killed every large and dangerous game species on the planet and it remains extremely popular in Europe for large boar and Moose which they call elk along with Red Stag.

Pick the right bullet, put it in the right spot and they will die.

The only advantage to the larger and faster rounds available today is extended range and a greater margin for error.

It seems many are missing point. It's not about the 6.5 RPM cartridge alone or the MK V Backcountry alone. It's about the combination. The RPM bests many new/new'ish 6.5 rounds ballistics and the Backcountry is lighter than many other mountain rifles. But having the RPM's reach in the Backcountry package in combination is the selling point. Yes, I bought one and killed an elk with it in September of '21. I'd previously killed elk for a decade with a Kimber Montana in .300WM. I've always been a CRF guy. But, I doubt I'll carry the Kimber again unless I'm in serious grizzly country. The new Weatherby "package" is a high performance winner. As always to each their own. Enjoy the hunt and the process leading to it.