Weatherby 6.5 RPM?

Why I'm not impressed with the Weatherby 6.5 RPM:
1.requires a long action
2.not a lot faster than the shorter 6.5 PRC
3.uses quite a bit of powder compared to shorter but fast 6.5 cartridges
4.ammo will be difficult to find - and spendy

Eric B.

1. That's the point...too many short 6.5's out there. And designed for a standard bolt face.
2. Faster is faster and the PRC requires a short mag action...10x more standard long actions in existence to rebarrel.
3. Who cares? Excessive pressure or more powder is the only thing that makes velocity.
4. True.

I have to hand it to Weatherby for making their rifle action in titanium with an optional Proof Research barrel. Then there is the
non-Weatherby style stock with no Monte Carlo cheekpiece. And of course the 6.5 RPM has no unnecessary "magnum belt".

Along with the move to Montana Weatherby is "breaking the mould" but improving the brand.

Eric B.

I have to hand it to Weatherby for making their rifle action in titanium with an optional Proof Research barrel. Then there is the
non-Weatherby style stock with no Monte Carlo cheekpiece. And of course the 6.5 RPM has no unnecessary "magnum belt".

Along with the move to Montana Weatherby is "breaking the mould" but improving the brand.

Eric B.

I was talking to Adam Weatherby before Christmas and he was saying they have lots more news/changes coming for the New Year, so I'm thinking a cpl more calibers on the RPM case .284 and .308 I suspect !
I totally agree with what you said and gotta give Adam credit for changing with the times with the Weatherby line of products,
One thing about Adam at least gets out and back pack hunts and has a handle on what people like to use in different hunting situations.

I was talking to Adam Weatherby before Christmas and he was saying they have lots more news/changes coming for the New Year, so I'm thinking a cpl more calibers on the RPM case .284 and .308 I suspect !
I totally agree with what you said and gotta give Adam credit for changing with the times with the Weatherby line of products,
One thing about Adam at least gets out and back pack hunts and has a handle on what people like to use in different hunting situations.
It is worth a lot that Adam is a hunter, not just a bean counter. The combination of good business principles and knowing what the customer wants along with moving to a business friendly / gun friendly State should help them go far. I would love to work with a company like that but I am a little too old to start a different career.

Eric B.
Pretty sure they moved to Sheridan Wyoming. After getting boned by California taxes for 70 years, I cannot blame them for moving to a conservative state with no income tax.

1. That's the point...too many short 6.5's out there. And designed for a standard bolt face.
2. Faster is faster and the PRC requires a short mag action...10x more standard long actions in existence to rebarrel.
3. Who cares? Excessive pressure or more powder is the only thing that makes velocity.
4. True.

This is always the case we pay for higher performance. As you near the top of what is possible the return in velocity gain for the amount of additional powder used always ends up upside down.

If you want to run a VW Bug at 55 max you'll probably get 500k out of it but if you run a dragster reaching for that 3.5 Second quarter mile you'ge gonna burn a heck of a lot of gas and burn out a whole lot of parts before you get there.

Disagree. There are tons of rifles now. Many below 1500$.

I'd venture to say there's little chance the RPM will ever match the PRC in total sales, not even close. Weatherby makes a great product but they've never been after the mass market and other mfg's aren't interested really in their niche market for the most party. The one WBY that caught a chunk of the mass market for a while was the 300 WBY but like the RUM, most people were not willing to tolerate the recoil so it lost popularity in a hurry.

Recent Posts