Weatherby 257mag choices?

CjC73

I'm looking to buy a 257WM and looking for some advice. A few choices I'm deciding between are as follows:

Vanguard 24" - $400 (or a used one w/ scope for $350)
Vanguard Select SS 26" - $440
Vanguard S2 24" - $470 (possibly SS)
Vanguard 24" fluted barrel - $500

I'd like a Mark V but most are out of my price range for this purchase. Did see one sell for $550 that I missed out on.

Thoughts? I heard the Vanguards are good rifles, what's the difference between the Select, the base Vanguard and the S2?

73, I've had a Mark V in .257 for 16 years, it shoots very accurately. I won a series I .257 Vanguard in 2010, bare bones plastic stock. Before I ever fired it I threw away the stock and stripped the barreled action and had it cryogenically treated. Bedded it in a B&C stock along with a Timney trigger. This low cost rifle is one of the most accurate rifles I own. I had it Cerakoted a couple hunts later due to hints of rust after a rainy hunt. I'd get the Select SS and start loading. Good luck

New Vanguards are coming with 26" barrels. Since they were made by Howa, I think Weatherby was probably limited to Howa's production abilities, and most .25 cal blanks would've been made to finish at 24" for 25-06s if not 22"

great... I was leaning toward the SS 26" as well. I have a MV in 270mag SS 26" and it shoots! bone stock, no mods to it.

I'll shoot this one right away and see if the stock needs to be upgraded.

morning, Remington ran a production of weatherby calibers
years ago. if possible I would bid my time and purchase
1 on these rifles. I just built a 257wbee on a 700 mag.
action, hart SS #7 contour barrel, timmey trigger. H&S
combat stock, completely cercoted sniper gray,
warne steel mounts and rings, 8-32x44 Nikon monarch,
all rem. bottom metal. I wanted to build a 6.5x7mmwbee.
justme gbot tum

morning, yes I saw a few Rem in 257, all of them were a bit out of my price range. I think the cheapest was around $850 on GB, just quick searches. If I was going to pay that much, I'd get a Mark V I think, not that I don't like Rem. Yours sounds like a nice rig.

Remington makes the cdl sf in 257 Weatherby. Don't know if thats an option for you but never been a Weatherby fan myself. Been eyeing the Remington in Weatherby for a while now, will probably be my next rifle.

1. If buying used I'd ask about round count with such an overbore cartridge.

2. I'm sure it would blow your budget, but a fast twist barrel capable of stabilizing the new high bc .257 bullets could help you max out this high performance round. Look up the 131 Ace from Blackjack bullets if you haven't yet.

2. I'm sure it would blow your budget, but a fast twist barrel capable of stabilizing the new high bc .257 bullets could help you max out this high performance round. Look up the 131 Ace from Blackjack bullets if you haven't yet.

what twist you talking about? 1:8? I think the VG are 1:10.

If $850 is more than the op wants to spend on a rifle I highly doubt he wants to spend another couple hundred on a new barrel right off the bat.

Probably right, that's why I hedged my statement. Just wanted him to be informed in case he wasn't aware of these bullets. I'd be frustrated if I bought a 257 bee and then found it I couldn't max out the potential of the round.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.