weather meters for shooting long range

IHFarmer07

Hello all, I'm trying to start to shoot long range and I'm slowly getting my equipment to do such thing. As of now I'm shooting my newly put together .224 Valkyrie that I put together using a .223 rem 700 sps varmint that I had and was never real satisfied with its performance and I ended up doing a remage 24" 1-6.5 twist barrel conversion on it.....shoots great!!! It shoots Federal 60gr factory loads up to 3410fps and a 3 shot group of .429" at a 100yds!! The 90gr fusions shot a .804 at a 100yds, not the greatest but not terrible, it was DARN HOT and I was getting excited about how it was performing....the group sizes probably should be smaller but I'm not complaining since it was so easy to do! I'm waiting on my other factory ammo to get here to see what does what...and later this year im going to do a 6.5 creed built in the same remage setup but all stainless and a trued faced rem action.

Long story short, id like to buy a weather meter but not sure what kind, what values of weather I need!! Yeah sure id like to buy the top of the line kestrel but that is a lot of coin. what weather meter will get me going to shooting long range? what values do I need to watch for in a weather meter?
Here is what I have been looking at:
I found a kestrel 5700 for $350
a 5500 w/o link for $260
been thinking on a wind mate 350-$141
really been thinking hard on the weatherflow precision shooter because I have apps that support this and is reasonably cost effective and I have my old smart phones that I can use basically just for this, for about $85....what do you all think? What is too much useless crap on these that is not necessary for the prices of some these? Thank you!

Last edited:
Anybody have opinions on this subject????
I'd like to add as well that I'm doing this for a hobby and not for competition/professionally. Please let me know what I can get away with for the money.

How far do you shoot and such?
Most of my shooting is 150-450yds with a heavy barrel B Mag .17WSM and out to 800yds with a Model 12 FCV .223. I've stretched the B Mag out to 600yds.
I've shot over 1100yds in competition with 6.5 Creedmor
I shoot a lot of dot drills, i.e. MOA dots at 50yds with 22lr w/ 4x32 scope, 100yds with the B Mag and .223 with 3-15x scope.

I shoot a lot rimfire. It really helps keep the cost down while enabling countless hours of practicing mechanics.

Most of my shooting is 150-450yds with a heavy barrel B Mag .17WSM and out to 800yds with a Model 12 FCV .223. I've stretched the B Mag out to 600yds.
I've shot over 1100yds in competition with 6.5 Creedmor
I shoot a lot of dot drills, i.e. MOA dots at 50yds with 22lr w/ 4x32 scope, 100yds with the B Mag and .223 with 3-15x scope.

I shoot a lot rimfire. It really helps keep the cost down while enabling countless hours of practicing mechanics.
Cool! Lol you keep yourself busy!

I just updated mine to the 5700, works great, I pretty much use every feature on it. I'm not sure which kestrel has the essentials(4500 maybe if they still make it) but I would get a 5700, you won't need to upgrade for a long time

I just updated mine to the 5700, works great, I pretty much use every feature on it. I'm not sure which kestrel has the essentials(4500 maybe if they still make it) but I would get a 5700, you won't need to upgrade for a long time
Ya I have my eye on a 5700 for a good price I think and I know I could always up grade to the elite version. Question on that and maybe you would know, could I up grade to to link later, and is that really necessary?

Ya I have my eye on a 5700 for a good price I think and I know I could always up grade to the elite version. Question on that and maybe you would know, could I up grade to to link later, and is that really necessary?
You can't upgrade to the link version, requires wireless, but I haven't felt I needed it. I did purchase the fibre optic dongle and use the free update to get mine to 5700

You can't upgrade to the link version, requires wireless, but I haven't felt I needed it. I did purchase the fibre optic dongle and use the free update to get mine to 5700
Ok....I made a mistake, the 5500 I was looking at didn't have the link but the 5700 did and for about $360 with shipping, what do you think?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.