Weak brass?

Hunter609

I fire formed 50 rounds of 338 lapua improved. I used 90 grains of magpro with a 285 eldm jammed .010. Out of the 50 rounds 3 randomly split the side of the case no signs of pressure on the primers. This is adg brass, has anyone seen this?

Attachments

• IMG_0480.jpeg
    IMG_0480.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 80
Might be a bad batch of brass. I'm assuming this was new brass since fire forming to AI. I've lost a few cases while fire forming 270 Win to 6.5 Sherman, but it was 1x fired brass and the split was at the shoulder. I'd reach out to ADG - I'm sure you'll be taken care of.

Peterson brass had the same problem a few years ago, it ended up being faulty annealing during the brass forming process at the factory. when there is a lot of taper blown out like the lapua cases and when not annealed properly the work hardened case will split.

Might be a bad batch of brass. I'm assuming this was new brass since fire forming to AI. I've lost a few cases while fire forming 270 Win to 6.5 Sherman, but it was 1x fired brass and the split was at the shoulder. I'd reach out to ADG - I'm sure you'll be taken care of.
It was the first firing

I had the exact same thing happen with Alpha brass forming into 7-08AI. Alpha's response was that their brass was not to be used in fireforming AI. Out of 100 pieces I had this happen 4 times with the initial fireforming process and 1 with it being once fired. I am now on my 6th reloading with this brass with no issues and still have tight primer pockets. I think Alpha is premium brass and very hard near the case head which is why it happened in the forming process? I really can't say, .maybe this is just part if the process when doing AI with premium brass? I have done other AI's (223 and 280) and did not experience this. The 223 was virgin Lapua and the 280 was once fired Hornady.

You have to consider the total movement of the brass - 223 AI isn't much, 243 AI is a whole lot. If you're going to 35* pr 40* shoulder on a 338LM that's a pretty significant amount of movement.

That's why I use false shoulder on "larger" (in the sense of lots of movement) AIs and not bullet jam to keep the case located better.

I deep body dip anneal before the 1st firing.
That's not a factory full anneal, but a standard process anneal half way down the body(after all the factory forming).

Recent Posts