wcc846 for .308

rick523

Has anyone used surplus military powder? Specificaly wcc846, I have a chance to aquire some at a reasonable price. Just curious if anyone here has tried it and what were the results. Thanks

Has anyone used surplus military powder? Specificaly wcc846, I have a chance to aquire some at a reasonable price. Just curious if anyone here has tried it and what were the results. Thanks
Treat it like ant other mil-surp powder; i.e. start 15% down from like burning rate canister powder and work into it using both a chrono and normal pressure signs to guide you. It should be about h335 or blc2 give or take. The seller should have guidance on this also.
I don't burn anything that fast other than in my AR so I don't play with 846, but you won't have any trouble with it as long as you realize it is surp for a reason and may be a bit off spec..
You will have to run up your own data and I suggest you get a couple of kegs right away as the next batch you get wil be different and you'll have to re-do load developement.
I've burned a good amount of wc872 (slow stuff for the 50cal and 20mm) and it's decent stuff; I'm still looking for some good I 5010 again though.

Lefty,
Thanks, I have never used mil surp was just curious the quality. I did the research on it and it seemed pretty good. I always start fresh when changing powder even with civilian powder when changing lot #'s. I was pretty sure it compared to BLC2 as that is what my buddy has compared it to. Once I establishe a working load i should be good to go he has enough to last us both for 5 years if we shoot only 300 rounds a week each out of our 308's. Now if I could just find that many 175smk's:D One other ? how temp sensitive is it, any idea?

Lefty,
Thanks, I have never used mil surp was just curious the quality. I did the research on it and it seemed pretty good. I always start fresh when changing powder even with civilian powder when changing lot #'s. I was pretty sure it compared to BLC2 as that is what my buddy has compared it to. Once I establishe a working load i should be good to go he has enough to last us both for 5 years if we shoot only 300 rounds a week each out of our 308's. Now if I could just find that many 175smk's:D One other ? how temp sensitive is it, any idea?
From what I hear most of the mill ball powders are just about as temp. sensitive as their canister counterparts. I worry about cold weather performance and accuracy mostly and will compensate for a bit of vel. drop so I really haven't delved into temp. sensitivity with them.

Military ball powders work fine in .308's for hunting. But not for best accuracy.

Lake City arsenal tried a couple of ball powders in their 7.62 match ammo when Winchester took over its operation from Remington; not good at all compared to IMR4895. Even exact charge weights of ball powder has never produced the consistant accuracy of metered stick powder with a 2/10ths or 3/10ths grain spread.

Thanks Lefty I appreciate the info.

Bart, that is interesting on the accuracy end, as my buddy told me yesterday he is shooting the best groups he has ever shot, he has used IMR4895 and varget both in the past. That is why I thought I would give it a try for $11.00 a lb. didn't think it could hurt. Normally I use 4895 and am shooting bug holes at 100, and have been getting .50-.75 moa at 1000 with it and 175 smk's, I guess i will see. Thanks,

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.