WC 867 Info

wmcgarva

Be very careful on the initial loads with this powder. The instructions say its burn rate is near AA8700, this is not what we have found. The burn rate is slightly slower than H1000, loads using the AA8700 were way over pressured. I tried the initial load of 111gr in a 30-378 Wby, cronoed at 3480 with 200gr NP, took 2 of us to get the bolt open. Loaded the next batch back at 99gr and got them out at 2970, good starting point. Next time out I will work the loads up and try to get to 3200 without any pressure issues.

Thanks for the info. I am getting ready to do some load work with 867 in a 264 Win. Mag.

I have found 872 to be at least as slow as 8700 in the 264.

I played with a particular lot of that powder as well. I tried it first in my 30/338 win mag with Berger 230 tactical OTM. 80g ( case filled .125" above base of bullet seating and compressed ) yielded 2,451 to 2,620 fps within a five shot group with identically prepared brass in the same gun shot within a twenty minute span of time. I have read various lots can vary up to 10%. BTW what lot # do you have. A good reminder for all of us to start low and work up slowly! YMMV

These slow military grade powders are known to be very temperature sensitive. Some have noted 200 fps differences between cool and warm days...not cold and hot mind you. The near 200fps difference noted above may have been from rounds warming in the chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts