Wby vanguard rebarrel advice

Canhunter35

Hi everyone, I have a wby vanguard chambered in 257 wby, boyds stock, timney trigger trigger, but the barrel has had a lot of rounds. Accuracy is still good, but I've been thinking to rebarrel it, once accuracy degrades. I've been thinking a 7mm wby with a 1:7.5 twist for the heavy bullets, probably 175 eld-x. I reload and want to use the rifle for long range hunting.(1000yds) What contour should I be looking at? I'm thinking a .7 or .75 muzzle diameter. No fluting.
I have also been considering a 270 wby with the new long range bullet options available.
Should I be looking at a different caliber/cartridge/ barrel contour?
Thanks

The Howa/Vanguard rebarreled are great shooters. Perhaps a finished 26 inches for the two calibers you chose. I own a .270Wby and a friend has the 7mmWby. The friend would now rather have had a 7mmRem since they are so close ballistically and readily available much lower cost quality brass. My .270Wby barrel is toast, I'm leaning toward a 6.5/300Wby rebarrel so I can toast it. Good luck

I looked at a 6.5 wby, but a 300 wby case wont fit in my action, I have one and tried to see mag limit available to me. I was thinking 26" barrel plus muzzle brake with noise redirector. I would go longer but they get so unweildy.

Even though I have a few (ahem) 7mm Weatherby rifles, I would look hard at the 28 Nosler cartridge if you weren't committed to using a Weatherby caliber. Shorter and beltless, it has 2 advantages right there to the slightly shorter action (compared to a Mark V) used in the Vanguard. You have to think about COAL in the Vanguard given its shorter magazine which can "fit" the 300 Wby, but barely.

The length of a 28 nosler looks like it would work with long high be bullets but Being fatter, will the current width of my vanguard mag work on a 28 nosler?
The gunsmith would also have to team out the bolt face, correct?

Even though I have a few (ahem) 7mm Weatherby rifles, I would look hard at the 28 Nosler cartridge if you weren't committed to using a Weatherby caliber. Shorter and beltless, it has 2 advantages right there to the slightly shorter action (compared to a Mark V) used in the Vanguard. You have to think about COAL in the Vanguard given its shorter magazine which can "fit" the 300 Wby, but barely.

Like Dr. Vette, I have ummm, some Weatherbys.

I have a long action Vanguard that will become a XX-Nosler. Probably 28-Nosler since that is missing in the line up. Shame my barrel is a 9twist. Also going to make a 50WSM barrel for it.

Pac-Nor prefits are the bomb.That's all I have used on the Vanguard's so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts