WBY MK V Ulralight

4xforfun

I am working up a load for a friends MK V Ultralight in 300 WBY. Besides kicking the snot out of me, I am seeing another problem. Since it kicks so hard, I actualy need to hold on, especialy to the forend, since it jumps off off the front rest if you don't hold on out front. The stock looks like it is in full contact with the flured BBl almost all of the way to the reciever, and any change in gun handling throws shots. Is this contact by design? I usualy float the bbls, and if I find they need a little upward psi at the tip of the forend, I do that. (Only actualy had to do it once). The puny stock has lots of flex along the bbl channel, and it takes very little torque to bend/flex the bbl and stock.

Should I float the **** thing, or will I screw up something that was designed in by WBY for some (stupid) reason?. I know it is not a bench gun, and it shoots fair, but I can't just had the gun over and say "good enough for deer".....just not in my nature.

WBY guys and Stock guys ....let me know what you think.

Thanks

My Weatherby Sub Moa didn't have a floated barrel either. I understand that many Weatherby's don't. There were 2 flattened lumps of stock near the end of the fore stock. These provided roughly 10 lbs of contact pressure. So I removed these and floated the barrel for zero improvement. :D

Similar situation with my 1968 Winchester Featherweight in 270. The pencil thin barrel required a different system of target shooting. The rifle was very sensitive to changes of material touching the stock.
So put your left hand on the front rest and put the fore stock in your hand. This way when you are holding the rifle to shoot, the shot will go to a similar point of aim.
Hope this works for you. lightbulb

JM .02

I am working up a load for a friends MK V Ultralight in 300 WBY. Besides kicking the snot out of me, I am seeing another problem. Since it kicks so hard, I actualy need to hold on, especialy to the forend, since it jumps off off the front rest if you don't hold on out front. The stock looks like it is in full contact with the flured BBl almost all of the way to the reciever, and any change in gun handling throws shots. Is this contact by design? I usualy float the bbls, and if I find they need a little upward psi at the tip of the forend, I do that. (Only actualy had to do it once). The puny stock has lots of flex along the bbl channel, and it takes very little torque to bend/flex the bbl and stock.

Should I float the **** thing, or will I screw up something that was designed in by WBY for some (stupid) reason?. I know it is not a bench gun, and it shoots fair, but I can't just had the gun over and say "good enough for deer".....just not in my nature.

WBY guys and Stock guys ....let me know what you think.

Thanks

The flimsy stock does not apply much tip pressure if any and with light barrels they need some
dampening in order to shoot. (Especially heavy bullets).

What has worked best for me in the past on this type of rifle (Any Brand) was to fully bed the
action and remove the pressure point.(Leave it on while bedding the action). then after the
the bedding has cured (I like to leave it 48 hours) remove the pressure points and apply
bedding in this about 1'' wide all the way from one side to the other and reinstall the action
with the action screws allowing the bedding compound to ooze out with only the pressure
applied by the action.

After the compound sets it can be cleaned up and normally it will dampen the barrel and
improve the accuracy.

Also when shooting a really light rifle with a skinny stock of of any type of rest It is best to
rest it on or near the front bedding screw for more consistant groups and you can lay your hand over the scope between the rings to control recoil.

Just the way I do it.

J E CUSTOM

Free float the barrel and put a muzzle brake on it. No way anyone can shoot a ltwt mk5 in 300 wby accurately without a brake. All my wby's shoot great freefloated.

My father has an WBY Uktralight in 300 WBY. The only bullet it will shoot is a Barnes TSX 130 grain loaded hot. It will shoot those just under an inch at 100 yards. Anything else is all over the paper. The pencil thin barrel needs to be bedded to dampen the vibration. I have a ultralight in 257 WBY that will shoot under an inch also. It is not floated either.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.