Waterfowl Jerky

Flybuster

Here's a recipe that my dad used for hundreds of batches of goose jerky. He said he tried adding more ingredients and experimenting, but it just didn't taste as good. So here's the popular recipe I continue to use today, on all waterfowl. Infact it works well with deer and bear, too.

Three simple brine ingredients,

1 gallon water in pitcher
1/4 cup of salt
1 cup of brown sugar

I always use hickory wood chips.

Remove meat from brine, rinse and pat dry with paper towel. Make sure you get all the feathers off:D , unless you like the fiber.

The recipe seems strange because I always add more salt than sugar. Of course nobody ever asks me for my recipe after they have tried any jerky I make.

I will keep it in mind and try it the next time I make some jerky.

The recipe seems strange because I always add more salt than sugar.

I think that's exactly why it taste so good. Most jerky has way too much salt in the brine. These two batches I just made turned out great. It was a big hit at work today. Now the word is out and I have to bring more jerky to work tommorrow, I have people badgering me that work clear across the building from me, just by word of mouth.

I actually smoked one batch yesterday for almost 10 hours because it was so cold. I still had to cook it in the microwave for 4 minutes, to cook it all the way through. But it sure turned out moist, and tasted great.

Thanks for posting this.

With less than a month left in our season, I'm hoping to put the recipe to use soon. If not, September resident season is less than 9 months away.

No prob, If your like us you will be counting down the days until the season opens.

Another thing I do with the jerky, since theres less perservative (salt) I usually keep it in the refridgerator, but it usually gets eaten before it has the chance to go bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.