Waterfowl focused pack?

Sam4886

Anyone have a suggestion for a good waterfowl, mostly ducks, focused pack? I end up hunting a lot of hike in places that are normally a mile or more in, and carry all the normal duck hunting crap. Waders, decoys, a spinner, shells, etc.

I've been using my Kuiu and using the load shelf between the frame and pack to stick my decoy bag in, and it works but it's not ideal.

I know there are lots of packs made by banded and those guys, but nothing is really geared to walking more than a few hundred yards or carrying a dozen or so decoys.

How many dekes are you carrying? Was in a similar situation and moved a lot of full bodies to feeders because a) it was a shallow marsh, and b) they are 1/3 the size. Was able to stuff most of what I wanted in a Mystery Ranch, but also hiked in wearing waders (only about a half mile). Also used one of the cheap mesh bags with backpack straps, but I'm sure that wouldn't be strong enough to tote waders and other crap in.

Generally right around a dozen decoys. Right now I cinch the whole 12 slot bag sideways between the bag and frame of my Kuiu pack.

Ive got the goofy mesh bags with shoulder straps and that kind of thing. I'm hoping I can find something with a good waist strap, suspension, and frame.

Haven't tried it, but what about an Ebrlestock mainframe (or a similar shelf-style pack), then cinch your mesh deke back on it? Then you just need a spot for coffee, snacks, and toilet paper.

Get a pair of the new breathable waders and wear them in. They are every bit as comfortable to walk in as pants and boots. That will really reduce the load you have to carry in, is more comfortable and you won't have to put your waders on when you get there. Seriously, they are so comfortable I deer hunt in them. I like the Banded version.

I've got lacrosse breathable waders. Granted, they're not as bad as neoprenes, but they're no where near as nice to walk in as my hunting boots.

The waders aren't really the issue when packing in, they're not that heavy. The decoys aren't all that heavy either, really. The biggest issue is just the bulk.

If I could get a good load shelf style pack with a 1000-ish cc bag that does the tie down duty for the shelf, that would be ideal.

I would also leave the spinner at home and just kick the water. Hats off to anyone that would work that hard just to kill a duck. Geese, maybe, ducks no. Guess I've killed too many and am spoiled.

I put the decoys in a mesh backpack and carry everything else in jacket packets. I carry more decoys but otherwise it looks like I hunt lighter then you. Can't imagine hauling in slot packs, seems like that would be a pain.
For flat terrain, I cobbled together a canoe carrier and haul everything in a 10' Creek boat.

Rig em right refuge runner has worked well for me . 16 decoys , marsh seat and gun. Works well

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 140
Kuiu,exo,kifaru all have load hauler type accessory for loads.Maybe that might work on your frame you have

I've killed a ton of birds over those inflatable decoys. If it were me I'd cut my decoys in half and I bet you're still getting under'm. I doubt 6 decoys are gonna make that big of difference if you're hiking that far into a sweet little honey hole. In that situation we'd probly pack half dozen of our best decoys and toss in 6-8 of those inflatables to and numbers if you really needed them....it's worked well for us.

I've been eyeing the straight jacket, glad it was brought up, that was going to be my suggestion, though I have no experience with that bag specifically. Kifaru does make great gear.

I've been eyeing the straight jacket, glad it was brought up, that was going to be my suggestion, though I have no experience with that bag specifically. Kifaru does make great gear.
I used it for a couple spreads this year, it handles a dozen mallard decoys handily. It's a great do all pack in my experience