Water? Life Saver water bottle

Glad I dont live in the US. this sounds like a whole lot of complex ******* about just to have a drink.
Where do you guys hunt? Is the water actually that bad?
Where I am the water is clean as. I have never filtered/sterilized or boiled water EVER in my whole life. just drink it out a stream/river. as long as your not down stream from sewage plant in NZ your allgood.

It depends on where you are but no, the water's not that bad. We have lots of Beaver in North America and among other things in water, there's a concern of Giardia. If you get Giardia, you'll have a difficult time staying out of the bathroom long after the hunt is over. Also, winter kill has a way of ending up in creek bottoms. You can have a beautiful clear running creek and you get a half mile up-stream and you find a stinking rotting carcass. A filter is, more or less, insurance of no surprises when you have to return to work. I hear a lot of nice things about New Zealand. Sounds beautiful.

AH, New Zealand! The South island for hunting, backpacking and skiing, the North island for sea kayaking and beach combing. Someday I'll get there.

Well, yes we do have beaver dams here in the US, both east and west, so you do need to purify your water coming from those sources. A plain filter may not be enough to avoid "beaver fever".

And I've taken water from a cattle trough at 8,000 ft. in a high valley along the Pacific Coast Trail. THAT water I definitely had to use a Steripen to purify.

To avoid the Shanghai $hits, "green apple quick step" or "Montezuma's Revenge" one must purify - and sometimes filter before purifying.

That said I've often taken water from a spring coming directly from a hillside with no treatment.

AH, New Zealand! The South island for hunting, backpacking and skiing, the North island for sea kayaking and beach combing. Someday I'll get there.

Well, yes we do have beaver dams here in the US, both east and west, so you do need to purify your water coming from those sources. A plain filter may not be enough to avoid "beaver fever".

And I've taken water from a cattle trough at 8,000 ft. in a high valley along the Pacific Coast Trail. THAT water I definitely had to use a Steripen to purify.

To avoid the Shanghai $hits, "green apple quick step" or "Montezuma's Revenge" one must purify - and sometimes filter before purifying.

That said I've often taken water from a spring coming directly from a hillside with no treatment.

haha the north island has good hunting aswell for Sika and Sambar.
bloody beavers. Never though about them polluting water haha.
Ive drunk out of streams before and then walked up valley and found dead animals in the water haha you can only laugh when that happens (extra "protein" I say haha).
Yea stock water is no good. nearly died when I was 3 from horrid food poisoning from a stock water dam. but since then Ive never had a problem.

Lets throw H2O2 into the mix. I have a private well (like most people in rural settings do) and our well is contaminated with bacteria that according to the health department (local), will give you the 'morning after toilet sitting regimen' so we pretreat our water with Hydrogen Peroxide injection, have for years. Our water regularly tests (yearly) with no evidence of any micro organisms.

It would be very easy to carry a small bottle of H2O2 and an eyedropper to treat any suspect water or all water consumed for that matter.

The Hershey Squirts reminds me of my last trip to NM for mulies and our Mexican Lodge cook. A weeks worth of Mexican cusine did me in...big time.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.