Water filter

Some filters are purifiers and some aren't. I've found if your in the high country and clear water, you don't need a purifier. I use the Sawyer filter. $20 at Walmart. Most importantly, it will fit in your shirt pocket at night so it won't freeze. Freezing will wreck a filter. For 4 people, use a gravity system. Aquamira WaterBasics has a very inexpensive gravity system with different filters for different water quality. I purchased it, but haven't used it yet. The larger the bags on both end, the more convenient it is. With 4 people, we always carry a spare filter. A Sawyer is so light you won't notice it in your pack. I made my own gravity system years ago (should have patented it). A wine bag on top with a punched hole through the cap and for a tube. The old clear swamp cooler 1/4" tubing is light and works. Push the air out of the bottom bag, and let water run through the line befor hooking to the filter. With about 5 ft. of tubing, you can filter a quart in 5 minutes. I love Platypus, but they are pricey.

I'm a big fan of the Platypus Gravityworks for large groups. You can treat a lot of water at a camp and do it quickly. I've tried a similar MSR model and it did last long at all, every platypus bladder I've had has held up great. For hunts where I'm just treating water bottles I use a Steripen, and those where I want more water on me I will run a sawyer mini filter inline with my water bladder hose.

Had a few they all seem to work great as long as your in clear water. Ive had to use muddy water and its hard on filters. I would look for a high volume also one temds to use lots of water.

we used a steripen for our water . we were always able to get running clear water where we hunted . we made sure to get our water up stream from the mules . 5 of us were on the hunt . I think we were out about 20 days , no one got sick .

Haven't carried a true water filter in over a decade. I use a #2 coffee filter over the mouth of my bike bottle and Steripen Adventure UV purifier. This is for the bottle I use for my Cyto-Max electrolyte drink. The #2 coffee filter keeps debris and small children out of the bottle.

For my hydration bladder I use Katadyn chlorine dioxide tablets.

Eric B.

I have used a Plytapus Gravity. It worked really well for a 3 day backpack hunting trip. The gravity flowed quick and smooth.

In my experience filters are absolutely not for sub-freezing temperatures.Even draining them does not get rid of all the water and you risk ruining the filter if it freezes.

Eric B.

I have used a steripen and carry back up aquamira for the last couple of years. If weight and size is an issue I like the uv vs filter/pumps.

Sawyer Squeeze. Carried one on 600 miles of the Appalachian Trail and many backpacking/hunting trips in Colorado. It's cheap, easy to use and compact.

I'm a huge fan of the gravity filters. IMO the MSR "autoflow" is the best unit I've used. I do have the Katydine" 10L bag and love the size, but I don't have as much confidence about the internal filter getting crushed in my pack and freezing. The filter cartridge on the MSR is pretty much bombprrof. Also, one time my Katydyne bag got a tear in the clear vynil window and it was a PITA to field repair. The MSRs are much more durable.

The MSR dirty water bag is only 2L or 4L, I wish they had a larger bag. You could always build your own system just using the aquaflow cartridge.

In the SW, water is often distant and few sources are around, I carry 10L in my pack most days, so the larger bags are helpful in my case. Some of our water sources are pretty funky, so I still carry "aquatabs" to add to my water.

Pumps and steripens are fine, I've owned most and used them all. The gravity bag is my "go to" set up now for most situations.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.