Water filter straw?

The main problem with straw systems is you can only use them at the source or you need to have a "dirty" container. You can't filter water for later unless you plan to suck it through the straw then spit it in your canteen :confused:

The Sawyer is a way better option and you're not going to have a headache after you suck dirtier water though the straw ;) They are on amazon for under $20 so similar price to the life straw.

I picked up a "life straw" on sale for $5 for my emergency pack

I hope to never have to use it as it would be for extreme emergency use only

Its light and packable iny first aid/emergency kit pouch and was cheap.

I figure if I have to use it I'll be in dire need and either be stuck in one place or wont care if I have to drink water I've filtered and spit back into a canteen

For normal non emergency drinking water filtration, get one with a pump or bag that attaches and then pushes water through the filter. I dont like backwash on a normal basis bit wouldn't care in an emergency

Bigger issue than what filter to buy would be to have a reliable/known water source..its sometimes harder to find the water than it is to filter it (depending on location and time of year)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.