water canteen for hunting

powermax

any suggestions on a water canteen for all day elk hunting? I'm a Yeti fan while they have lots of options for bottles but how much water do you weight yourself down with and what is the best way to carry water while hunting?

Second the bladder type. I always used water bottles until recently.

With a bladder you are only carrying the weight of the water since they weight hardly anyhing. With bottles well you get the point, more weight.

I also like that the bladder keeps the water cooler. I usually carry 3 liters because it's warm, and sometimes hot when hunting here, but I guess would depend on the weather.

If you have to carry a bottle, Nalgene bottles are pretty indestructible. They at least use to make the "oasis" which was a canteen but I would just buy a regular bottle. I typically run a Source hydro bladder, but if I am going to be far from truck/supplies etc or backpacking I will run both. It is nice to have the bottle option as a redundancy on the outside chance the bladder leaks and/or you have some kind of caffeine or electrolytes you want to mix with water.

If you have to carry a bottle, Nalgene bottles are pretty indestructible. They at least use to make the "oasis" which was a canteen but I would just buy a regular bottle. I typically run a Source hydro bladder, but if I am going to be far from truck/supplies etc or backpacking I will run both. It is nice to have the bottle option as a redundancy on the outside chance the bladder leaks and/or you have some kind of caffeine or electrolytes you want to mix with water.
Agree on the ability to add packets. EmergenC packs are nice to bring with. I also like the bottle for that cold fresh water and save the bladder for when you need it.

Refill smart brand water bottles. You can get big ones, they're lighter and quieter than the metal double wall type, but more durable than the normal plastic bottles from bottled water. The threads fit Sawyer filters if you use those. I keep one for regular water and one for mixing in the flavor packets.

I use platypus for the bladders and nalgene for bottles.

Bladder use is dependent on season. We're talking Elk and If it's October and beyond hose and bite valve freezing can be an issue on storm days. Even if I don't take a bladder to drink from I usually have one as an overflow for hydration with a bottle. They weigh so little and have great capacity.

Last edited:
I carry a Hydrapak bladder. The downside of bladders is that they're not indestructible. I also carry a filter of some sort. I bought the Katadyn BeFree for last year to ditch my older MSR SweetWater and saved quite a bit of weight. I like the BeFree, it takes a lot less effort to get clean water, I can also fill it and take it with me somewhere giving me an extra 3L of water. If I went away from a bladder I would go to something like a Platypus Platy collapsible water bottle. Now, with my bladder, I typically carry another bottle with me so I can make a flavored drink of some sort during the day too.