Washington Wolf plan

Your program,probably like MT. We had about double the target number,before we had a chance at management. THEN had a season,then NOT. Within those 3 years I logged about 180 days out,plus 15 dedicated to wolf at end of general,I saw 1 wolf,glimpse. And 100's of tracks, I have taken close to 20 species of game, and with our timber,wolfs are hard to catch up to. I was just talking to Rocky Jackobson at a outdoor show, and at a drainage this fall it had 200 elk,now 1/2. A pack of 50 wolfs are there, he showed a video calling in 12. He ask F&G TO USE FORCE,no luck.He thinks elk hunting will pretty much be wiped out in 4-5 years. He has spent whole life,hunting and filming.

Introduce??????? Well Rumor may have it, that a wolf trapped in Idaho this past year had a WA state tag / collar on it!!!!!!! How about that! They already started it ! Okanagan county has some also, from reliable hunters that are good friends of mine.

A buddy of mine worked for f&g as a salmon researcher out of ellensburg spent all day on the rivers and creeks tagging fish, he said he ran across a number of tracks that were way too big for yote and too far out to be a dog. We hunt the st helens area and found tracks in a few drainages that again were very large as well.

I've heard of wolves around St. Helens and Adams from hunters who spend time in that area.

Did you guys see this from the WDFW today:

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

May 23, 2012

Wildlife managers treat dead calf
as 'probable' case of wolf predation

OLYMPIA - State and federal wildlife managers have determined that wolves likely caused injuries that resulted in the death of a calf on a Methow Valley ranch May 18 and that the landowner would qualify for compensation.

The landowner would be the first in the state to qualify for compensation under criteria established by the state's Wolf Conservation and Management Plan adopted late last year.

Steve Pozzanghera, a regional director for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, said it was not possible to say for certain that wolves caused the injuries that resulted in the death of the calf, although evidence at the scene supports that conclusion.

"The calf was mostly consumed by the time the department was called in," Pozzanghera said. "But photos of the carcass taken earlier by the rancher as well as tracks located in the area were definitely consistent with wolves."

Pozzanghera also noted that the 3,000-acre ranch near Carlton is in an area traditionally used by the Lookout wolf pack, and that remote, motion-triggered cameras had photographed two wolves on nearby National Forest land in recent weeks.

The Lookout pack is one of five wolf packs confirmed by WDFW in the state. The department is currently working to confirm other wolf packs.

Officials from WDFW met May 22 with those from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the USDA's Wildlife Services Program to examine the evidence and develop a response to the loss of the calf. All three agencies are involved, because wolves in the western two-thirds of the state are protected as an endangered species under both state and federal law.

The primary goal of the state's new wolf management plan is to protect gray wolves as they reestablish themselves in Washington, but it also includes provisions to compensate ranchers who lose livestock to wolf predation, Pozzanghera said.

Under the new management plan, ranchers can be compensated up to $1,500 per cow for wolf predation classified as "probable." The plan also allows ranchers to be paid up to twice that amount for lost livestock that are "confirmed" to have been killed by wolves on ranches over 100 acres.

In all cases, Pozzanghera urges ranchers who believe they have lost livestock to predation to contact WDFW immediately at 1-877- 933-9847.

"The sooner we can investigate the situation, the better our chances are of determining whether the incident is a wolf kill and whether compensation is warranted," he said. "We also ask that landowners protect the site from disturbances and keep scavengers away by covering the carcass with a tarp."

WDFW currently has $80,000 available to help livestock operators prevent conflicts with wolves and compensate ranchers who lose livestock to predation by wolves. Of that funding, $50,000 was provided by the state Legislature, $15,000 by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and $15,000 from the non-profit organization Defenders of Wildlife.

This message has been sent to the Gray Wolf Pack Updates and Information mailing list.

Visit the WDFW News Release Archive at: News Releases | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife
To UNSUBSCRIBE from this mailing list: Unsubscribe from WDFW E-Mail Mailing Lists | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

does anyone have any source based statistics (ie web adressess to publications) showing a correlation between game populations and wolf reintroduction? Montana FWP seems to elude that it can go both directions...but of course they want to pacify any controversy since they are accountable for the decisions which affect their biggest supporters...hunters. it would be interesting to see some prey animals behavior if the packs get larger....we may see deer / elk dropping to lower elevations where there is more tree cover....of particular concern to those of us who like to get up away from the other humans who prefer the same...thanks for the info jmden

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Wolves and Big Game in Montana

And now they have named an 8th pack!!! They call it the "Wedge" pack!!! Found north of Kettle Falls between the Columbia and Kettle Rivers!!! They found this pack because a rancher had a calf killed!! They collared they alpha male and ear tagged a pup. And they are proud to name the 8th of all things!! Did some research of the SeattleTimes and they claim most Washington residents welcome the re-introuced wolves!!! They are outt their **** minds!!!!!!

And now they have named an 8th pack!!! They call it the "Wedge" pack!!! Found north of Kettle Falls between the Columbia and Kettle Rivers!!! They found this pack because a rancher had a calf killed!! They collared they alpha male and ear tagged a pup. And they are proud to name the 8th of all things!! Did some research of the SeattleTimes and they claim most Washington residents welcome the re-introuced wolves!!! They are outt their **** minds!!!!!!

Agreed. 'Most Washington residents' have believed the simple minded, easily digested marketing of the mass culture and really have no reason, in their minds, to investigate the issue further to uncover the truth even if they are aware there is an issue with wolves in the first place, which most likely are not. ...just like so many other issues...

Shoot every wolf you see and you will not put a dent in the population. It took professional hunters with traps and poison to eradicate the wolf population in the 1890's. Sadly, the wolf is here to stay.

Bear and cougar numbers have soared since hound hunting was banned. Add wolves to the mix and moose will be the first to vanish, then mule deer, blacktail, elk and finally the whitetail.

Shoot every wolf you see and you will not put a dent in the population. It took professional hunters with traps and poison to eradicate the wolf population in the 1890's. Sadly, the wolf is here to stay.

Bear and cougar numbers have soared since hound hunting was banned. Add wolves to the mix and moose will be the first to vanish, then mule deer, blacktail, elk and finally the whitetail.

Yep...all well documented.

I think that predators, especially wolves, are the perfect bio-political tool of the left to accomplish several objectives at once.

I have never heard the term "bio-political tool" before. Achieving several goals with minimum expenditure, all the while appearing to support the wishes of the green herd, very clever in deed.

If the wolf actually achieves what the NRA has been able to successfully battle for years, this is a
sad time to be sure. Personally I hope to be dead and buried before that happens.

So I was apparently talking to a Biologist on the website www.Bearinfo.org her name is Lorna, about the 8th confirmed pack of wolves!!! I posted one mild response to an ignorant reply about the wolves in WA and got a, well, I guess not so satisfying response back!! So I politely laid out some facts from the wolves in Idaho, such as the elk herds are down 80% in spots, the dogs in Wallace that got attacked and killed and the slaughter house they gated off around Dworshak!!! I also stated that citizens and hunters don't want them here and we don't want government "Managing" the wolves; because, as I stated "We all know how well they manage programs"!!!! I was fairly professional and left it at that, no name calling, you stupid idiot kinds of things, but I was expecting a response. I have went back and checked on it here and there and just checked it this morning and noticed they DELETED my post!!!!! COWARDS!!!!!!! So I encourage everyone to check out the site, and click on the 8th Wolf Pack Confirmed and scroll down to the bottom of the page and post a quick reply!!!! Bombard the **** thing!!!!! That way everyone who reads that will see our concerns!!!!! gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.