Washington Wolf plan

pyroducksx3

Ugh crap the washington wolf plan is calling for 18 breeding pairs of wolfs and no season for three-years. We are going to kill our big game population. The more I hunt here the more I want to go out of state. Every year I talk to other hunters and they say the hunting just gets worse and worse here.

Where are you going to go? Idaho? Montana? Wyoming? Oregon? They all have wolves now and raising hell with the game.

More depressing is the political situation makes it unlikely we'll be allowed to do anything about it once we get to that point!

Well supposedly they could begin to manage the wolves if they hit the 18 breeding pairs before 3 years. According to the plan that process has been fast tracked if that happens, but even then 18 breeding pairs! I think Oregons plan only calls for 7 or 8 pairs. I have been looking hard at montana and idaho and yes they have wolf populations and the hunting will not be as good as it has been. But their bad hunting is better than our good hunting and at least they are trying to manage the population somewhaty responsibly. We seem to be willing to give it all the wolves. Im sick of supporting a wildlife program that makes questionable decisions. I mean ,and maybe I'm wrong but, what program makes decisions that negatively effect it biggest contributer (our license fees)? I feel like the money I spend to go hunt is being used against me sometimes.

Yes...look who just got appointed by Gregoire the other day to the WDFW Commision to represent the eastside!

For those that don't know-Jack Kehne is now game commisioner in Eastern Washington. He's been a member of Earth First, claims to be an "Outreach Associate" for Conservation Northwest a pro-wolf organization. He says he's committed to the "science" of wildlife management and professes neutrality.
WDFW has been pro-predator for a couple of decades, and is trying to offset losing 116,000 license sales by creating "special hunt" fees. When we have the desired 500 wolves eating 44 deer apiece (their numbers) or 22,000 deer a year-pretty much more than are being taken by hunters, I'm curious as to what this cash strapped entity will try to sell us then.
Consider at election time folks these are appointees.

For those that don't know-Jack Kehne is now game commisioner in Eastern Washington. He's been a member of Earth First, claims to be an "Outreach Associate" for Conservation Northwest a pro-wolf organization. He says he's committed to the "science" of wildlife management and professes neutrality.
WDFW has been pro-predator for a couple of decades, and is trying to offset losing 116,000 license sales by creating "special hunt" fees. When we have the desired 500 wolves eating 44 deer apiece (their numbers) or 22,000 deer a year-pretty much more than are being taken by hunters, I'm curious as to what this cash strapped entity will try to sell us then.
Consider at election time folks these are appointees.

This guy also is apparently a hunter. I think his first name is actually Jay, from what I've seen. He's a classic political appointee in the given political environment--perfect for Gov. Gregoire. He's from the eastside, he is a hunter (so that should give him credibility with the hunters, right?), but in reality he's a pro wolf, pro predator member of environmental groups.

It's not that we are anti-predator--the issue is they aren't being controlled as they should and that we are managing for predators here and seemingly all across the west.

Here is a post from Hunting Washington Forum, Hunts, Photos, Videos, Contests, Classifieds. The poster emailed Jay and Conservation Northwest apparently and this is the post and the emailed response:

"I noticed Jay Kehne was affiliated with Conservation NW. By reading the Conservation NW website they did not seem hunter friendly and did not have any affiliations with any prominent hunting organizations despite the fact they claim to be a conservatoin organization. In addition, their stance on wolf ment seem far more pro-wolf. Anyway, I thought I'd take the liberty to email Conservation NW asking what their stance was on hunting and I got a reply...it just so happend to be from the newly appointed Jay Kehne. It should be noted that I did not ask anything about predator/wolf hunting but his resopnse seem to be tailored to that exact subject. Here's what he had to say:

'Conservation Northwest supports science based wildlife management and fair chase hunting according to the laws of the state. That's the short and simple of it. When you consider all that is encompassed in that simple statement its a lot. It means we support predator hunting when the laws of the state support that. If we don't think a predator population should be hunted because the science does not support that we would work very hard to try and get those laws changed and to be based on science. If we were not successful in changing those laws then we would still support them and whatever hunt is allowed by them. Several of our members are avid hunters, so we are not your run of the mill, greeney environmental group that doesn't understand predator prey relationships or get out in the woods during hunting seasons. We do believe hunters are a part of the equations, just like deer, elk, and predators. All of it needs to be managed in todays world to be successful. I hunt deer, and elk but not cougars or bears. I have been on bear hunts but somewhere along the line I just decided to keep to the animals that I really like to eat and I'm not that fond of bear. Hope this helps.

Jay Kehne
Okanogan Outreach Associate
Conservation Northwest'"

https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?topic=88459.0 You can got to this link to follow this discussion.

Jay lives in Omak (used to live there myself and Winthrop as well) which is within Okanogan County. Since his appointment, the Okanogan County Commissioners have taken it upon themselves to collectively write Governor Christine Gregoire and the WDFW to complain about his pro-wolf stance and the fact that, due to this stance, he is, in fact, not truly representing the wished of the area of the state that he is supposed to be representing.

But you see, he is a 'perfect' fit for the liberal, pro-wolf agenda.

For the Okanogan County Commissioners, as a group, to do what they did regarding Jay's appointment, speaks volumes.

Any hunter who doesn't understand this issue and is continuing to allow themselves to be deceived by it very much needs study this issue in depth.

Why I say WDFW is pro-predator? I'm off this week and should be out trying to call a lion, no season, plenty of cats. Our black bear season should be a general spring season, and reopen August 1, lots of bears no season (why end bear season a couple of days before deer season?) We were told get rid of hounds and bait and boot hunters can have an August 1 opener in the NE corner. Very short lived-great summer back pack trip with the kids out of school, bring in new hunters. Again plenty of bears. They don't want us around the grizzlies. Another example of a hunt hamstrung by dates specifically designed to limit opportunity. I've heard them say their assumption is a guy with a cougar/bear tag out hunting is just there to poach deer/elk.
I've interacted with several states and provinces, and Washington has the most arrogant, adversarial, and anti-hunting attitude of the bunch. The strategy of eliminating or minimizing sport hunting by protecting predators predates the wolf in this state, but the wolf will be the capstone.

Just reading reports of wolves on the Colville reservation, between 3 & 9, and the Tribe has not settled on a plan (how many). The issue is apparently as controversial as it is in the rest of the State.

I just saw two wolves at Bow Hill on I5, there's one breeding pair! Lmao.... Looked like they were huntin something, I only saw two, there were probably more...

So do what a lot of sportmen are doing in wy. mt. id. shot every one they see. Then keep your kills to your self. If you want to be able to hunt with your kids and grandkids. You better do it because FISH AND GAME WILL NEVER DO IT.

I completely agree with you guys, I grew up in North central Washington and I've seen the political BS that goes on in Olympia. I finally had enough and moved the hell out of that Liberal state. I spent the past 5 years elk hunting in the Colville National forest, and it's tough! The elk density is very low, Grizzlies were re-introduced, and now there are established wolf packs! Hunting is going to get alot worse in WA. And yes Good old Gregoire has shown her hand, non-resident elk tags went up last year from $300 to over $700, not to mention that resident fees have increased quite a bit these past few years.
Classic government mentality: Take our money and make a mess with it!

We don't have to tolerate wolves in our woods. Just use discretion. Screw WDFW they are following direction from foreign governments and shutting us out of our woods and wild places. United Nations directives control the WDFW agenda. U.N.. Agenda 21. is the document writer by the United Nations to blueprint their plan of sustainable development for the 21st century. I encourage everyone who values access to the wild places and wants their children to have the mountains and foresests and deserts and rivers should google "United Nations Agenda 21" and read about it for a while or watch a youtube video explaining it. We are going to lose all access to the woods and the critters if we don't all stop the current erosion of America.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.