Washington vs Alaska fishing charter

laker

Wife and I are planning to take a guided fishing trip next summer for salmon, halibut, lingcod, and rockfish and have been trying to decide between just heading out to Washington or making the long trip up to Alaska. The tuna fishing out of Washington looks fun. For you guys that have done either where do you recommend? For you guys that have done both which did you prefer?

Sitka, AK - Like island, have to fly in, super good, caught a 8 lb. silver & wifey got a lingcod an inch or so short of 4 feet long - many other fishes also. Salmon fishing out of Westport WA can be rather crowded and Rockfish and such means a long boat ride north of Westport. Limit of Rockfishes might be 10 or so which could mean short fishing but long boat ride. I have caught some real nice King Salmons while fishing for Westport Rockfishes using Anchovies but had to release the out of season Salmons. Barbless hooks might be required. We use standard 8 foot mooching rods with 14 pound test mono, banana 2-3 oz. sinkers, ball bearing swivels and 20 pound fluorocarbon leaders with tandem 2/0 hooks for small whole spinning Herrings or Anchovies. I also lived in Juneau AK for 2 years & fished there but I prefer Sitka.

You absolutely have to see Alaska at least once in your life. Like when I'm running errands, I go to the furthest place first. Washington is more accessible.

After I lost a family member, I took myself and a friend to the Nushagak River in Bristol Bay. Fished for silver salmon mainly. I do plan on going back (hopefully a few more times) to fish in the ocean and bays for barn door halibut and other awesome tasty fish.

You won't regret it.

If you choose Washington, Westport will do the trick. No frills though, captains want the boat limited so they can get home. Take some Dramamine if you haven't been out in a while.

I grew up doing oregon deep sea fishing. Nothing compares to Alaska. Halibut are not big like they used to be. But my daughter and I have our 150+ lbs pins. Shark fishing for both salmon and mako sharks is fun. You river fish for big rainbows for bait fish. Big hooks with big rainbow bait catches only big fish that can get 6-10 pounders in their mouth.

I've driven to AK multiple times and flown up I stayed in soldotna ak for river fishing. Just call and find out what is running when. My biggest river king is only about 50 pounds and I catch and release them because that's no where near a record. Ninilchik and Palmer is where I'd catch boats for deep sea fishing

I grew up doing oregon deep sea fishing. Nothing compares to Alaska. Halibut are not big like they used to be. But my daughter and I have our 150+ lbs pins. Shark fishing for both salmon and mako sharks is fun. You river fish for big rainbows for bait fish. Big hooks with big rainbow bait catches only big fish that can get 6-10 pounders in their mouth.

I've driven to AK multiple times and flown up I stayed in soldotna ak for river fishing. Just call and find out what is running when. My biggest river king is only about 50 pounds and I catch and release them because that's no where near a record. Ninilchik and Palmer is where I'd catch boats for deep sea fishing
I'd be extremely happy with a 150lb Hali!

I've fished the last two years in Alaska. Both years were really successful. Our main target was Halibut. This year the three of us came home with 300 lbs in fillets.

A99CA27E-9712-4667-B4F9-8F19F20DAC40.jpeg

Attachments

• 5487FF6F-411D-41CC-B4C9-1BDC7DDD66EC.jpeg
    5487FF6F-411D-41CC-B4C9-1BDC7DDD66EC.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 10
If you choose Washington, Westport will do the trick. No frills though, captains want the boat limited so they can get home. Take some Dramamine if you haven't been out in a while.
No frills is what I'm looking for. I'm not a sightseer

Wife and I are planning to take a guided fishing trip next summer for salmon, halibut, lingcod, and rockfish and have been trying to decide between just heading out to Washington or making the long trip up to Alaska. The tuna fishing out of Washington looks fun. For you guys that have done either where do you recommend? For you guys that have done both which did you prefer?
I started out with a reply of Alaska there's no doubt that is my dream destination for hunting and fishing seems pretty good ,but once you mention tuna that was it go where the tuna are!!!

If you decide on Washington, a friend who is plugged in and keeps his personal boat in Westport recommended the guys at "allWashingtonfishing.com" when I enquired about a charter. Said their boats and gear are first class and they are professional and work hard for their clients.

I'd be extremely happy with a 150lb Hali!
My aunts boyfriend has lived in AK since the late 60's. He owned the lodge and river front fishing along with the halibut boats. But trawlers dragging the bottom wiped out all the big ones. He has pictures of his 348 pound and a 88 pound King is actually mounted in the lodge. That's why I kept releasing the 50 pound kings because of the mounted fish was my goal. You can only keep one King with the federal stamp. But they allow trawlers to rape the ocean.

Sport fishing has been ruined by the big buck lobbyists. Two Halibut per day per person. one King!

The big laugh: My daughter and I show up at 4 am to go out Hal fishing. Here comes the other four guys with bloody marys in hand. They are all laughing and having a good time just out of the titty bars. Well the tugger launches the boat and it's a big swell day because we were heading way down the sound to the 600 foot + water. One after another these guys started blowing beans (chumming) :)

So they were all sicker than dogs in the cab and they told my daughter and I to catch their 2. So when you are out you have to decide which two to keep. The smaller 50 pound chickens taste better, but you want big ones. The end of the story is you catch two each for the captain and bait boy. So my daughter and I caught 14 of the 16 fish that day. Well we get back in at the end of the day and they hang all the fish we had a couple over 100 and all these guys were smiling for the pictures and holding up "their" fish for BS stories of their great fishing in AK