Washington State Hunting & Shooting

Whitewolf393

Fellow hunters/shooters,

There is a good chance that I'll be relocating to the Seattle area of Washington State next spring, and I was just curious as to how the long range shooting and hunting was in the state. Can anyone of us from Washington State fill me in?

As always, any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

-WW

well you'll have to go east to get out in the open. There are some guys on here from spokane area that I know of. I'm down in oregon on the west side of the state, and it's kind of like a rainforest...thick! there are some long range shooting areas to be had in farmers fields, and clear cuts, but for the most part pretty thick.
go east you'll be fine..good luck with your move! seattle is decent, have some friends that live in Kirkland and they like it..

Whitewolf393:

Like lovedasnow says, go East!!! In the area between the Cascade summit and Yakima up to Wenatchee you can look around. There are a lot of places on White Pass and Chinook Pass where you can find country that will let you shoot long distance. Where I shot my deer last year was off of Chinook Pass and in the general area where I got him, I could shoot out to 1500 yards. I'd tell you the exact spot, but then I'd have to shoot you!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you don't already have it, get Google Earth,(Get it here) , a free download and you can look over the whole state and pick each area apart.

In the Eastern part of the state between Ellensburg and Wenatchee you can hunt some open country for miles all the way to the Columbia River. That's where I got my elk last year and there are spots in there where even with a 1500 yard elk gun you'd have to get closer. You can spot animals 2 or 3 miles off.

East of Yakima, South of Spokane and north of Walla Walla there is a lot of open farm land that you can hunt if you can get permission. Not many trees but a lot of open country mulies.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck and welcome to the state. If you're not used to a lot of people, which you'll run into on the West side, you'll probably be glad to spend some time in the Eastern part of the state.

Guys,

Thanks much for the info, to be sure. I'll file it away for future reference. Sounds like I need to improve my LRH skills before I move :} I've come the right place here, though.

Incidentally, how long does it take to drive from the Seattle area to the LRH areas, on average?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.