Was the 6.5 cm really a necessity?

I couldn't decide between the Creed or X47. After talking to Travis at RBROS I went with the X47. Sometimes I wish I had a little more case capacity, but the gun he built me is fast enough. Get just under 3000 fps with a 130 Berger. He assured me I was not at max with that load either. Haven't swayed from the load he developed for me. Shoots way to good to try something different.

That's what I said in a previous post. The Creedmoor market could have been theirs but they fumbled the ball big time with the 260.
Yep... As big of a Remington fan as I am, I still have no problem calling them out on their bullcrap. Which has been alot more in the last decade, than previously. They've made some really stupid choices. The most recently stupid choice was to stop production of the 5R Milspec GenII in .260 Rem, in favor of the 6.5 CM. The shooting world is big enough to handle both. Lapua makes brass for both. Ammo companies make ammo for both. Why the hell couldn't both exist??? Maybe if they had given a bit more of a chance to the .260...AGAIN!!! the .260 might could made a decent comeback. But Remington keeps bringing it back, then wiping it away. It's like, "Oh, yall are actually buying that rifle in .260 Rem???..............GONE!!!" It's like they want to destroy a cartridge just when it's starting to make a comeback.

The 6.5x47 Lapua brass is renowned for long life and accuracy. As far as capacity, the CM capacity is higher but the 260 capacity is higher still. If you want to squeeze every last fps out and you have a long mag the .260 is fastest. But like CTK said its splitting hairs if you're hunting under 300 yds. I think I might send my Sako 243 to Beanland when the barrel is burned out for one of those x47 tack drivers.

Gray wolf you won't be sorry. I'd have no problem under the right conditions to shoot at deer size game out to 650 yds with mine. Shot a 1.25" three shot group at 500 yds this past weekend. And I'm far from a great shot compared to lots of guys on here.

Yep... As big of a Remington fan as I am, I still have no problem calling them out on their bullcrap. Which has been alot more in the last decade, than previously. They've made some really stupid choices. The most recently stupid choice was to stop production of the 5R Milspec GenII in .260 Rem, in favor of the 6.5 CM. The shooting world is big enough to handle both. Lapua makes brass for both. Ammo companies make ammo for both. Why the hell couldn't both exist??? Maybe if they had given a bit more of a chance to the .260...AGAIN!!! the .260 might could made a decent comeback. But Remington keeps bringing it back, then wiping it away. It's like, "Oh, yall are actually buying that rifle in .260 Rem???..............GONE!!!" It's like they want to destroy a cartridge just when it's starting to make a comeback.
I'm a big Remington fan as well. Hell I'm a gun nut, very few I don't like. But 90% of my guns are Remington. I wouldn't own another kimber, had a couple, shot like crap. Not a big fan of Savage, not because they don't shoot, cause they do their just butt fugly and then some. But they do shoot!

I think Lapua has the right idea. They make 260 Rem brass now that is great when fire forming the 260 AI. It is a great case and has a good annealing done to it that starts you out with good brass In the AI version that can be loaded to max and survive many firings.

I have used the 7/08 Lapua brass in the past to make the 260 AI, But it is nice to have the proper head stamp on the case now.

I keep hoping that they will produce some of the Different RUM cases that Remington seams to have forgot.

J E CUSTOM

I like almost all guns myself. I have a Ruger Mark 2M77 chambered in 7 mm Remington mag, it has killed everything I've hit with it. I have made my loads for that using Berger 168 grain VLD's, and it's an excellent hunting rifle. I love the Mauser style action, just a classy looking rifle.

I have a Remington model 700 chambered in 243, has the high-gloss walnut stock, beautiful rifle. And, like almost every 700 made, it's an excellent shooter. I load 100 grain Sierra game kings in it, and they can drive tacks.

I have two Savages. One is a model 12 long range precision, that is chambered in 260 Remington. It has the HS precision stock, which I hand sanded to find it brought out a really cool looking texture in the stock without degrading the stock's structural integrity. It actually almost looks like Ebony wood. I posted a pic of it earlier in this thread. Zoom in on it and you can see what I mean. My other Savage is chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, that is a model 10. I don't like the stock on it really much at all. It is a cheap plastic stock. I bought that rifle mostly for the barreled action. I would like to put a nice laminate stock on that, something that would look really nice for a Savage. As much as I love the accuracy I get from Savages, and the user friendly barrel nut, I have to agree with predator 22, they aren't the prettiest guns on the market.

I think Lapua has the right idea. They make 260 Rem brass now that is great when fire forming the 260 AI. It is a great case and has a good annealing done to it that starts you out with good brass In the AI version that can be loaded to max and survive many firings.

I have used the 7/08 Lapua brass in the past to make the 260 AI, But it is nice to have the proper head stamp on the case now.

I keep hoping that they will produce some of the Different RUM cases that Remington seams to have forgot.

J E CUSTOM

I think with the new nosler cartridges and the success of the 338's the RUM's are going to go the way of the Dodo as well.

Last edited:
My other Savage is chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, that is a model 10. I don't like the stock on it really much at all. It is a cheap plastic stock. I bought that rifle mostly for the barreled action. I would like to put a nice laminate stock on that, something that would look really nice for a Savage.

Check out boyds gun stocks. I have a pro varmit on a wby vanguard, I really like it. Looks sharp too!

It's a hard world for a belted case anymore.
Yep, especially when everyone keep spreading disinformation about belted cases. I've never understood the belted case hatred...It's perplexing. I've heard of folks buying less-powerful cartridges just to avoid a belt. I've been shooting and loading for many different belted cases since the beginning, and never once had any belt-related issues.

Thanks man! Believe it or not, it's a stock Savage model 12 LRP. I love the gun. It was my first real long-range rifle and it has always shot really well. It is not particularly fond of Remington box ammunition, but it was not hard to find a good load for it using sierra bullets.

I have put many rounds through this and I have actually contemplated the idea of rechamber it into a Winchester 284 when I decide to re-barrel it down the road. That is another one of my favorite rounds. My dad has a Winchester model 88 chambered in 284 Winchester and I have always liked it.
That's cool that your Dad has a M88 Win. My Dad had one as well, in .308, that he bought new in 59. Spent the whole winter hand whittli g a stock out of a walnut plank. Glass bedded himself, worked the trigger, and shot ALOT !!! First center fire I shot, at the ripe old age of 7. Scoped ringed me, but I didn't care- I was hooked, man ! I've owned 3 others since then, my first was my first center fire, too, in .243. Got one for my son, 10 yrs ago. Love them things.

Yep, especially when everyone keep spreading disinformation about belted cases. I've never understood the belted case hatred...It's perplexing. I've heard of folks buying less-powerful cartridges just to avoid a belt. I've been shooting and loading for many different belted cases since the beginning, and never once had any belt-related issues.

I think with the new nosler cartridges and the success of the 338's the RUM's are going to go the way of the Dodo as well.

It's a hard world for a belted case anymore.

+!
In fact in many ways it is a better design if the re loader does his part.

It does require better smithing and proper sizing, but accuracy is there if you try for it and when fed good ammo It can be trouble free.

Unless I read it wrong the RUMs are shouldered cases and not belted.
It is still one of the best cartridges ever made and will/can do it all so I think it will out live all of us.

J E CUSTOM

To say that the 6.5 Creedmoor is being rammed down your throat has to be about the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. !!!

I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle , BECAUSE the rifle I wanted was not available in 260 Rem , 6.5 Swede or any other mid velocity 6.5 cart.
It wasn't rammed down my throat, I actually paid good money for the privilege of owning , shooting and hunting with a 6.5 Creed.
Would I say it is better than the other 6.5 . for me it is . For others , probably not.
Remington surely dropped the ball. First by stealing the official SAAMI name , it was already presented as the 6.5/308 A-Square.
So Remington got what they deserve.
However they drop the ball on everything they do. Like the 6.5 Rem Mag , 350 Rem Mag and 416 Rem Mag. All of them Great carts that Remington let wither on the vine.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.