WARNING: NORMA "Whitetail" 6.5 Creedmoor 140gr. SP ammunition- Overpressure!

Actually, they had a known issue, they should have sent him a new HP bolt and a return label first, That would have been true customer service, especially after Bert spent $1500 for the rifle.

I bought the rifle through an online distributor:

It's quite understandable that the manufacturer didn't know who I was/who to send an upgraded BCG to until yesterday (I don't think I got a warranty card to send in with this).

--------

In other news:

I have measured base to ogive length on several rounds of the NORMA Whitetail 140gr. from both lots.

Pretty consistently 2.090". They aren't being jammed into the lands when chambered.

For comparison, I have had no problems with jamming into lands or over pressure symptoms when chambering/firing Sellier& Bellot 140gr. FMJ at 2.160" base to ogive.

Out of curiosity, I measured base to ogive on all the types of 6.5 CM factory ammunition on hand:

Winchester Deer Season 125gr. 2.071"

Federal GM Match 130gr. 2.078"

Federal Nontypical Whitetail 140gr. 2.083"

Federal Fusion 140gr. 2.086"

NORMA Whitetail 140gr. 2.090"

S&B 140gr. FMJ. 2.160"

---------

I didn't have any of the Hornady Black/ American Gunner 140gr. FMJ left but someone else did measure base to Ogive on theirs and posted it. They were right round 2.205", of course that wasn't measured with my equipment-

1602008367615.png

Last edited:
So, Norma Whitetail seems to be fine in some rifles but not in others. ???
Let me know because I would like to test it in one of my Creedmoors tomorrow--Mauser and Sauer.

So, Norma Whitetail seems to be fine in some rifles but not in others. ???
Let me know because I would like to test it in one of my Creedmoors tomorrow--Mauser and Sauer.
So far, only the OP had a problem because of a known issue with bolt in that brand of AR.
Still waiting to hear back on test with new bolt installed.

And just with lots:
0030343-02
0030343-04

I spoke with Jake at APF and sent pictures, measurements & a link to this thread today.

They want to send me a new high pressure BCG, apparently their rifles in 6.5CM come with these now.

Nice of them to offer this replacement within an hour of getting my information-

See screen shot below.

I got a high pressure BCG sent to me by member Darryle last weekend (THANKS!!!) will check results of using this in the meantime.

I am still working on checking the measurements of ammo, bolt face to lands & etc., will post details here when I've got it all together.

View attachment 312244
So tell us, how did the new bolt work out in your gun? Have you tested it as yet?

So just to ease the fear of Norma WhiteTail ammo that this tread may have developed in you, here is a photo of a group I shot today.

Ammo: Norma WhiteTail 140gr, 2756 fps @ muzzle, lot# 0030343-06
Gun: Aero Precision Upper/Lower, Wilson Combat 18"Match Barrel & BGC (dual ejectors)
Range: 100 yards, DNR public range, concrete bench
Temp: 32 deg. F
Wind: 12 mph
Conditions: lightly snowing

Fired from 10 round Pmag, .491" center/center, 9 shots
On the 4th shot the gun doubled (due to light adjustment of Elftmann trigger) producing the one out-of-group flyer below the 9 shot one-hole group.
No signs of over-pressure on primers or case head.

This stuff shoots so good, who needs to reload?
The last order I placed with Norma, they were shipping 6.5 Creed 140gr WhiteTail Lot# 0030533-00. Can't wait to see if the new lot duplicates this kind of accuracy.

Happy shooting!
6.5 CM 100yds Norma140gr (2).JPG

Attachments

• 6.5 CM 100yds Norma140gr (2).JPG
    6.5 CM 100yds Norma140gr (2).JPG
    487.5 KB · Views: 47
I sent an email and haven't heard back from him. I hope he's healthy and just busy with work. I will reach out via phone in the next day or two if he doesn't respond to my email. He's in a unique business, so I am hoping he's covered up with work.

He has one of my HP small firing pin BCG, so I don't see him giving up without returning the BCG.