• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WARNING!!!!!!!! If you sell and ship BRASS……..READ THIS!

1.4 would be my interpretation. They mentioned grenade primers and also toy caps. Basically little things that blow up.

A grenade is an objection designed to produce projectiles. If it was brass with a live primer, a bullet, minus powder, then maybe, just maybe it would fit within this. I suspect there wouldn't be enough energy to dislodge a seated bullet without powder. Testing would be needed here.]

A toy cap releases an exposed spark. If a primer is struck in a primed brass (by some freak accident) minus bullet and powder the spark is enclosed within the brass, where there is no fuel source. You're not going to get a flame front coming out of the brass.

Processed and Primed Brass does not fit this category.

c. Shotgun Hulls, Empty Casings, Nonmetallic Shotgun Hulls, or Casings Without Primers. These articles are not classified as explosives or hazardous materials under 49 CFR and, therefore, are mailable subject to the applicable mailing rules (see 227).

A grenade is an objection designed to produce projectiles. If it was brass with a live primer, a bullet, minus powder, then maybe, just maybe it would fit within this. I suspect there wouldn't be enough energy to dislodge a seated bullet without powder. Testing would be needed here.]

A toy cap releases an exposed spark. If a primer is struck in a primed brass (by some freak accident) minus bullet and powder the spark is enclosed within the brass, where there is no fuel source. You're not going to get a flame front coming out of the brass.

Dude logic doesn't apply in the land of 4oz containers in your checked luggage. Just posting the rules.

Ever do brisance testing using a pistol or short barreled rifle??? I have and a primer will flash out the end of the barrel on a 10" barreled contender without a bullet/powder in the mix... It's a good way to see how much crap the primer will actually toss....

They have their reasons for not allowing haz-mat in the mail.... It's their show; follow the rules or play elsewhere...

Ever do brisance testing using a pistol or short barreled rifle??? I have and a primer will flash out the end of the barrel on a 10" barreled contender without a bullet/powder in the mix... It's a good way to see how much crap the primer will actually toss....

They have their reasons for not allowing haz-mat in the mail.... It's their show; follow the rules or play elsewhere...

No I haven't, do you have videos?

SAAMI testing has demonstrated that there's a drastic reduction in energy when not using a barrel. Using barrels for that test introduces a variable that radically changes things for this scenario.

No it's not their show. USPS is a tax payer subsidized service. Therefore they are accountable to the tax payer.

Lol, dude you're shouting on a soap box to a bunch of disinterested folks. We're just telling you they are considered an explosive and USPS does not ship them. The 1.4 items were "examples", I'm sure if one dug up the full list it would likely list primers explicitly (whether you, I or anyone thinks that is justified is beside the point) but even if not they are without question a SMALL explosive.

FYI you can't ship alcohol via USPS either.

As reloaders we all should be very well aware that loaded ammunition, primers (whether in or out of brass), and powder all have extra considerations for shipment. Ammunition doesn't have a hazmat fee but it must be properly labeled as an ORMD GROUND shipment through the carriers that will handle it (Fedex/UPS) and properly delivered to them (typically requires at home pick up or dropping at the main terminal, they often don't want it dropped at a branch store). Off hand I'm not sure if primed brass is ORMD or hazmat, no experience there as I have no interest in purchasing/selling primed brass.

So, can you ship brass with dead primers? This seems to possibly imply NO primers, dead or live:

c. Shotgun Hulls, Empty Casings, Nonmetallic Shotgun Hulls, or Casings Without Primers. These articles are not classified as explosives or hazardous materials under 49 CFR and, therefore, are mailable subject to the applicable mailing rules (see 227).

Its not concrete but a spent primer is no longer a primer, its scrap metal. Some over zealous USPS employe could flag it but I suspect (I'm not a lawyer, blah, blah) it would at maximum result in a delayed shipment. I can't see it ever creating any true legal issue (again I'm not a lawyer). Spent brass via USPS is very common.

Brass with spent primers can be shipped USPS (most use flat rate boxes). Primed brass, while not considered hazmat like bulk primers or powder, must be shipped by ground whether it be ups, fedex, DHL, or.... (?), but no USPS. Live ammo is orm-d and must also go by common carrier, although I've heard fedex won't accept it. Powder and live primers are classified hazmat and must be shipped by a hazmat Certified entity (meaning business). I've seen people say they'd ship primers/powder if the buyer would pay the hazmat fee but It's my understanding that an individual can't/won't be hazmat certified.
I'M not saying they can't, that's just my understanding. If there's someone who has been, I'd appreciate him telling me how to because I've been trying to find out for years to no avail.

I wasn't sure on FedEx. I've had guys tell me they tried to ship ammo fedex and they were told fedex considers ammo to be hazmat. I've had ups tell me that and I had to show them in their own regs it wasn't considered hazmat, just orm-d.

Even shipping UPS you have to declare it and can only drop it off at certain UPS locations (ie - UPS stores won't accept it, usually only the main/regional depots).

Yes Sir, that's correct. It has to be a hub or customer service center, can't be a "ups store" or mailbox or whatever it is they call them.

Everyone should know this.......but it is obvious it is often not interpreted correctly

Thanks for taking the Time to share.........sorry no 30 hear but I will look for you