Warmest jacket for stand hunting for wife

I've always been a fan of the original Hunter color combos

Attachments

• 7E2C3005-4753-4E6E-B3C4-CCF705784A23.jpeg
    7E2C3005-4753-4E6E-B3C4-CCF705784A23.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 75
Keep bulk to minimum using light down jacket and pants under outer layers and a good winter beanie. The kuiu lightweight down fits that bill nicely though less expensive options available (Columbia etc)

I wear a Mountain Hardware Ghost whisper under my outer shell. I don't stand hunt, but MT can frequently be below zero and this coat does the job.
it's 8 oz, and packs down to the size just bigger than a softball.

I'd consider bulky down garments. Light weight, flexible and packable. Down vest, down jacket w/hood and down over-pants. Very warm and easy to pack when not needed.
This, with a heavy wool coat and pants set. If it's a long walk to your stand, then walk in with the down packeted in your pack, get there put it on while your cool and dry.

I use Columbia's vintage PHG Gallatin over 700+ power fill Jackets. Find them cheap on line or Fleabay.

Oh use hot hands in the pockets they keep my legs warm circulating blood and all while sitting in the extreme cold.

I wish I could get my wife to even consider spending time in the cold!

What are you guys using for Extreme cold in a tree stand? This is for my wife. We have a lot of mountain gear from Kiui etc. which is great when your on the move but for long stationary stand sitting not very good. Trying to find something not really bulky but warm. Any help would be appreciated.
We sewed two jackets together like those "Two person Sleeping bags"
Now when we hunt neither one of us gets cold;)

I would look at the first lite whitetail line!
I second this. I did a ton of research on warm weather jackets and ultimately decided on First Lite's Santuary 2.0. It's all that and a bag of chips! I have other Sitka gear and really wanted to go with the fanatic series, but dang that camo just doesn't do it for me. In the snow, it would probably be ok, but I couldn't bring myself to buy it. I know it's supposed to be the perfect camo for treestand hunting and the deer are supposed to see right through it or something like that, but no way I'm wearing something that I feel makes me stick out like a sore thumb in the late season if there's no snow on the ground.

What are you guys using for Extreme cold in a tree stand? This is for my wife. We have a lot of mountain gear from Kiui etc. which is great when your on the move but for long stationary stand sitting not very good. Trying to find something not really bulky but warm. Any help would be appreciated.
dont make fun... a sleeping bag.
Cheap
Light
Super warm.
Covers movements
Breaks up outline

The biggest problem really is keeping your feet war when stationary. The secret is loose fitting boots, merino wool socks with a moisture wicking under sock. Over those a traditional pear of wool socks and some sort of wind proof, preferably knee height rubber boot.

For the rest of the body, merino wool blends that allow moisture to wick out and multiple layers of that topped with a loose wind proof jacket and pants.

In extreme cold up off the ground like that bulk is your friend. You might check Ebay, occasionally you can find surplus Airforce Nomex extreme cold weather gear worn by the crews that work in the back of the big transports in extreme cold like we never see at ground level.

A fur lined Elmer Fudd type hat to keep your head and ears warm goes a long ways as well.

I always pack my heavy clothing and walk to the stand in base layer(s). Fully dress at bottom of stand before climbing. If the stand is big enough I full dress in the stand. Otherwise, and in years past, I would be a sweat mop in my heavies walking to the stand in them.
Really good idea, once you start sweating in extreme cold weather you're in deep trouble.