Warm barrel flyer

PaLuke

Hello everyone, my friend just purchased a X Bolt Pro in 300 win mag. He's loading Barnes TTSX with H4831 about. .090 off the lands. He'll get 2 shots just about touching and the third maybe 3/4" high right. It's still very good but I was wondering are some bullets or some bullet designs less susceptible to flyers with a warm barrel. I doubt it but I was looking for some of your experiences. Thanks for your replies and advice. Take care.

I'm betting that it's not warm barrel issue because even a pencil barrel is only going to get so warm off 2 shots of 300winmag. I'm betting it's either brass neck consistency or he should maybe nudge that bullet a little closer to the lands, maybe to .040" jump and see what she does and then adjust in or out or leave it. .090" is a pretty long jump anyway on that bore size. Inconsistent neck tension is also a sure way to get flyers. For the neck tension, annealing and making sure to use a neck mandrel is all I got short of resorting to neck turning and other high effort ugliness.

Thank you very much for the advice. We will try tweaking the seating depth this afternoon. I believe he has some S type dies ordered also. Thanks again and take care.

Hello everyone, my friend just purchased a X Bolt Pro in 300 win mag. He's loading Barnes TTSX with H4831 about. .090 off the lands. He'll get 2 shots just about touching and the third maybe 3/4" high right. It's still very good but I was wondering are some bullets or some bullet designs less susceptible to flyers with a warm barrel. I doubt it but I was looking for some of your experiences. Thanks for your replies and advice. Take care.
I bought a new Xxxxx stainless in .45-70. It would ALWAYS hit dead- center bull on the first shot before proceeding to print a perfect question mark, (?), about 5" x 9" every single time. After that it just wasn't that accurate. This exact same event happened every single time. My dealer acknowledged the problem & bought it back for full price. He said that's a bad barrel. (There were other new-from-factory issues as well) Whatever, I didn't care. Wasting 6 rounds of .45-70 ammo everytime you go target shooting is EXPENSIVE! Wasting 6 rounds of
.45-70 ammo everytime you go hunting is fruitless. Got a Marlin & never looked back. Just one of my experiences.

For a hunting rifle unless your taking 1/4 mile shots.Thats not bad.If it were my "hunting" rifle I would get barrel dirty.maybe 4 shots.Then shoot 2 quick shots once a day for a week.If you get 2 shots touching.... consistant....you are golden...go hunting...

For a hunting rifle unless your taking 1/4 mile shots.Thats not bad.If it were my "hunting" rifle I would get barrel dirty.maybe 4 shots.Then shoot 2 quick shots once a day for a week.If you get 2 shots touching.... consistant....you are golden...go hunting...
You're exactly right. He has a elk hunt planned for this year and his guide said no longer than 300 yard shots. I told him he'll have no issues even to 500 yards. He has access to a decent range to 450 and he's going to start shooting distance this weekend. Thank you for your reply.

The 7mm ultra mag im building will put the first two shots down a cold barrel right thru the exact same hole out to 400yards the third is starting to drift away never heated it up beyond that. Hop this helps good luck with the elk hunt i think your friend will be fine