wanting to build a 300 blackout

You didn't say what the size of your checkbook was. The best for the money I found was Aero Precision. Forged receivers but look like billet. They have a lot of features built into them that more expensive receivers don't have. Built two 6.5 Grendels and am very happy. I know you can spend a lot more money.

If you are going to shoot subsonic make sure you get pistol gas length gas and 1:7 twist

Honestly "best matched set upper" isnt as important as a good quality barrel and properly headspaced bolt.

I built mine on a cheapo $40 upper and lower and it shoots great -- I have yet to finish my subsonic hand loads but factory s&b 200gr fmj subs will print sub moa @ 100 yards any day and my 110 tac-tx supersonic handloads are about 3/4 moa @100. I dont shoot mine at anything alive past about 150 yards but I sometimes plink steel at 300 with subs for fun to test my shooting "drop" ability -I have mine zeroed at 100.

The cartridge is a niche, but fun to shoot non the less-- it's not for everybody and definately has its limitations, but all cartridges have some

If you are looking for "premium" pricing with a name on it you can definitely pay quite a bit if that's your thing, but if wanting to build on a budget then a good bolt and barrel can be pared with budget items and still have an accurate firearm.

Last edited:
I'd have to add to that a good trigger. Those mil-spec things just don't cut it. A stock that is tight is another must. You pick up a gun and it rattles doesn't give you much confidence.

I've used PSA nitride barrels in both pistol and carbine gas length, as well as Faxon and even a bear creek barrel. One PSA shot slightly better, one slightly worse than the Faxon, and all were sub moa with handloads from a rest, using milspec grade receivers and geissele triggers. It seems to be a very forgiving cartridge.

I have three different 300 blackout's. The first one is a Ruger American rifle bolt action. This is definitely the way to go if you want to shoot subsonic suppressed. It is much quieter than the AR's.
The second rifle is a BCM 16 inch with standard forged receivers. I get the desire to spend money and make a really nice rifle, but we're talking about something that has a useful range of 300 yards really. The ultimate in percision is not that beneficial for this caliber in my opinion.The 16 inch barrel is for a longer that is necessary to take a vantage of all of the powder capacity. And a pistol length barrel makes a lot of sense, other than for hunting and legal issues.
A pistol in this caliber is a different animal altogether. To me it is a very capable gun for relatively short range hunting and self-defense. With a 9 inch barrel, and a folding stock, mine easily fits in a backpack.
I built mine on a mega arms upper and lower. I'm rather glad I went this route for purely aesthetic reasons.
Go to rainier arms and find whatever you want, but I would consider weight before precision given the application.

I put together a BO from various parts I picked up locally. Decent parts. It functioned fine, was accurate and I enjoyed doing it. But I bought a 7.62x39 upper from Sota, not expensive at all, and like it much better. It shoots and functions great with a tad bit more umpfff. With 5 round hunting magazines it works great. I just like the 7.62 a lot better.

Just built a 6.5 grendal on Aero upper lower matched set. I always use more expensive names but I am honesty surprised at the quality. This is one of my first budget builds, I usually spend 3x this much on builds. Check out Aero.
B8D949B4-9FB9-4AAC-BD16-FC2D3C3BF1C8.jpeg
9D0B4832-340F-42C9-A0D1-609B95379973.jpeg
7BEA3A62-A520-4476-A216-A7DE45DA91C1.jpeg
2A24EB86-B587-434F-BBB1-1B2BACD996B5.jpeg

I may do a bolt gun soon. That being said I have about 8-9 300 blk. My best one is a psa upper and lower consistent sub half inch groups with cutting edge 100gr raptor esp.
Sometimes it hurt my feelings knowing it's much better than some I spent lots more money on.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.