Wanting New Rifle in 25 or 6.5

I saw one of these in a local shop but in 7mm Rem Mag. Probably should have picked it up. Been debating how much difference I would notice, and at what range, between the synthetic stocked Hell's Canyon and the Xbolt Pro with a "carbon" stock.
I seen one of the X-Bolt Hell's Canyon rifles last year right around when my 7 Dakota was being built, they look like a lot of gun for the price. Whenever someone talks about a new gun I tell them to at least check them out. That's why I was curious about people's experience with them because they do have a lot of nice features.

Looking at making room in the gun safe by getting rid of a 6.5 CM Kimber and a 25/06 Savage. The 25/06 was my first rifle and has a 26" heavy barrel and hasn't left the house since I started getting normal hunting weight rifles. I don't really have any issues with the Kimber, just not that excited about it anymore.

I am looking for advice on a middle to upper quality factory rifle in 25/06, 6.5/284 or 6.5PRC for lighter big game or all-around hunting rig. I like some of the Browning X-bolts, the Montana Rifle X3 and a couple of the Winchester's.

Anybody have anything to add from experience with these rifles or cartridges that I should know before I go through with this?

I would take a look at In-Rut Rifles Inc. some friends of mine have bought their rifles and all they talk about is how accurate they are even if they're shooting reloads or quality factory have a Ammunition.

If you are set on a factory rifle the PRC is a great option. I have built 5 PRCs now and each one has been very accurate. We are firing the 156 EOL at 2980 through a 22" carbon barrel with consistent 1/2 MOA accuracy. The higher velocities with heavies are achieved using Retumbo. I would expect RL26 to match the Retumbo but I do not use it. I have not been able to achieve higher velocities with other powders (H-1000 and H4831) in the PRC without creating too much pressure. The 25-06AI/25 PRC would deliver basically the same energy down range using the 131 blackjacks at 3200 FPS with less drop. The 131 in a game changer for the .257 caliber but a custom build is required at this point

I've started looking at the Christensen and I'll check out the Fierce. I'm going to skip the 270 wsm for now, even though I recommend to everyone that wants something smaller than the 30 cal mags. I just had a 7 built last year so I really don't have much use for the 270 wsm right now.
I have a Christensen Arms, Ridge Line 6.5 PRC, and I'm extremely pleased with. It has a pretty tight chamber so even new brass has to be FL sized. I find that to be the case with Hornady brass and two other brands. I also have to trim a couple the length to get them to chamber. If you plan on shooting factory, I've not experienced anything negative with the two factory loads Hornady makes, 143 ELD-X or the 147 Match. Both chamber fine and shoot ok. Neither of them group at 100 yards as well as the Hornady 120 grain GMX bullets do. Another great load this rifle likes is the 140 grain Berger bullets. I bought my PRC new for $1875.00, plus tax. Felt like it was a fair price for the rifle. I like the fiber carbon barrel. I have two other rifles with the same barrel and have been pleased with their performance. I also have a custom built 6.5 CM with the carbon fiber barrel. I guess my preference is the PRC at this time over the CM, but both rifles have a place of their own, in my opinion. Hope you make the decision you're happy with later. Good luck.

I seen one of the X-Bolt Hell's Canyon rifles last year right around when my 7 Dakota was being built, they look like a lot of gun for the price. Whenever someone talks about a new gun I tell them to at least check them out. That's why I was curious about people's experience with them because they do have a lot of nice features.
I love mine, was going to buy another in PRC but due to cost I bought a Savage 110 High Country instead.

Looking at making room in the gun safe by getting rid of a 6.5 CM Kimber and a 25/06 Savage. The 25/06 was my first rifle and has a 26" heavy barrel and hasn't left the house since I started getting normal hunting weight rifles. I don't really have any issues with the Kimber, just not that excited about it anymore.

I am looking for advice on a middle to upper quality factory rifle in 25/06, 6.5/284 or 6.5PRC for lighter big game or all-around hunting rig. I like some of the Browning X-bolts, the Montana Rifle X3 and a couple of the Winchester's.

Anybody have anything to add from experience with these rifles or cartridges that I should know before I go through with this?
Have been setting up 260's and 6.5/284's for a while now. My pet is the 6.5 in a #3 contour Hawk hill bbl. in a old Rem KS mountain rifle stock. Shoots Swift Scirocco 130's lights out to 920 yards so far. But I set up a CA Mesa for a buddy of mine and was really impressed after I glasses bed it and added a Jewel trigger. After load development it shoots as well as my custom for hunting. I'm would try the 6.5PRC

10ED7217-3B03-4D22-9C9E-8892E01CD417.jpeg

This was shot with an IN-RUT Rifle chambered in 6.5x284. This was at 200 yards.[/QUOTE]

10ED7217-3B03-4D22-9C9E-8892E01CD417.jpeg

Anybody have anything to add from experience with these rifles or cartridges that I should know before I go through with this?[/QUOTE

All Good advice. I have a qualifier tho. If you expect velocities above 3000 with a PRC you may be disappointed. I have been working with one and at 59gr of h1000 I am only getting 2911. Hornady says 3100. I don't think my rifle will ever get to 3100 w/o over pressure. This is all with 140's. May start a new thread on this cause the lack of velocity by 200 really bothers me.
What length barrel ? I can push 140's over 3000 fps with no pressure in a lot of loads. My barrel is 27 in. but 2 inches of it is integral m/b.

A quick paper compare for fun.

25-06, 115 VLD at 3000 fps
750yards 1812fps, 839 ft lbs

6.5 Creedmore, 140 VLD, 2725fps
750yards, 1828fps, 1039ft lbs

The light recoiling little short action Creedmore out paces the 25-06 in energy across the board and in velocity around 600 yards. Higher BC is a winner against lower BC in most cases. Note, for proper bullet operation you need around 1800 fps so any speed above 1800fps is a moot point. Also, any of more potent 6.5s will just make these number more in favor of the 6.5.

With that fun out of the way if you're in love with the romance of the 25-06 and don't honestly hunt beyond 600 yards follow your heart and build a 25-06. But, if you want to extend your potential hunting range and have a much better choice of bullets and real long range game hammers the 6.5 is going to give you a lot more choices. If you're hungry for a lot of power a 6.5-300 Weatherby would be a path but the bigger the case usually the more finicky the rifle. If you want something that has plenty of power and very good factory ammo the 6.5 PRC might be your ticket. The nice thing about the PRC is it will be a lot less finicky about bullet/powder combos than the Weatherby. My custom PRC shoots factory ammo into 1/2 MOA and hand loads into less than 1/2 MOA. Good luck in your choice. That 26 Nosler is a pretty sweet round as well.

Last edited:
I'd just like to add that the Ackley Improved cartridges are great, a bit of work, and....depending on which cartridge you choose it can be expensive to get set up with dies. I've got.270 Ackley Improved, I'd seriously consider the .270WSM, if I were to do it again. The Ackley Improved have some limitations. Also I do like the 6.5-06 cartridge
If you hunt locally and reload, Ackley Improved rounds are great. Travel and have your Ammunition lost, unless you shoot a 280AI. Try to find 6.5 Grendel in the Backwoods of West Virginia or on a trip to a Game Ranch and loose your Wildcat Handloads. Now it's rent an unfamiliar rifle and your Pride and Joy sits in its case. I used to have a 6mm/284 Win and it was a Handloads rifle but my hunting then was local, within 40-50 miles. Now I drive 300 miles but I shoot a 300 Win Mag for Antelope, Deer and Cow Elk. I'm a 100% Disabled Vietnam Veteran and an Amputee. I cannot walk on any uneven ground. Left ankle is fused and right is Hydraulic, no balance. I'm relegated by the State as a Road Hunter, legally. I get Land Owner permission to hunt on their Ranches that are posted to all others. So, I use a round capable of taking an Elk at 600 yards with sufficient energy to assure a clean kill if bullet is placed in proper spot. Last October I took a Retrograde 4X4 Mule Deer Buck. 140 yards using hood for a rest with the bipod. It had been 49 years between Bucks. Late was a Blacktail taken on Camp Roberts, CA in 1969.

Why not rebarrel the 25-06 with a Shilen or ER Shaw barrel, you choose the weight and the length and make it a semi-custom. the gun should be a good long distance Deer hammer, Elk have gone down to the 110-120 grain slugs from Berger, Nosler, Barnes, and Swift. I do not see any problem with maintaining the same caliber and using a better barrel to make the gun better than it ever was. I would also bet a trigger basix trigger and put it on. then put a good piece of glass on it and have a whole new rifle. it should not cost as much as a truly new rifle as well. just something to think about.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.