Wanting a new setup .300WM or like setup for Elk

bowhuntr23

New to the site, I thought I would reach out for some advice. I am about to go on my first Elk Hunt with a rifle, I have been several years with a bow but decided to book a hunt for second rifle in Colorado and looking to get a rifle ready for the October hunt. I was thinking a .300 WM and wanted to see what thoughts were on that or if I should consider something else. Second question would be for your opinion on best out of the box rifle these days for long range hunting. I was seriously considering the Christensen Mesa Long Range, Weathrby Mark V Accuamark, or a Bergara Premier. Or maybe there is a better option, I would like to be $2500 or less for the gun not including optics. I'm not going to shoot competitively but would like to have a good 1000 yard setup. Fairly experienced shooter, however new to the semi custom/custom market for a rifle and most of my rifle hunts in Missouri cap at 300 on whitetail so this is somewhat of a different need, we shoot out further but mostly just for fun.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
New to the site, I thought I would reach out for some advice. I am about to go on my first Elk Hunt with a rifle, I have been several years with a bow but decided to book a hunt for second rifle in Colorado and looking to get a rifle ready for the October hunt. I was thinking a .300 WM and wanted to see what thoughts were on that or if I should consider something else. Second question would be for your opinion on best out of the box rifle these days for long range hunting. I was seriously considering the Christensen Mesa Long Range, Weathrby Mark V Accuamark, or a Bergara Premier. Or maybe there is a better option, I would like to be $2500 or less for the gun not including optics. I'm not going to shoot competitively but would like to have a good 1000 yard setup. Fairly experienced shooter, however new to the semi custom/custom market for a rifle and most of my rifle hunts in Missouri cap at 300 on whitetail so this is somewhat of a different need, we shoot out further but mostly just for fun.

Thanks in advance
[/QUOT
Are you going to hand load for the rifle.

Thanks in advance
the 300 win mag is a fine choice along with the 300wsm or 300 rum you may look at the classifieds there has been some really nice customs showing up for sale

What rifles do yo have already? I only ask, because every year we get guys show up in our Elk camps from back east, with brand new rifles that they aren't familiar with. I've seen it cost guys an Elk many times, if you already have something you kill Deer with, say .270 or larger, considering using that instead.

Ok, with that out of the way.... I'd look at the Ridgeline, instead of the Mesa LR, if you like the Christensen rifles. That's a 10lb bare rifle, the Ridgleline will save you 3 lbs right off the bat.

A 1000 yard rifle and an elk rifle, to me, have different requirements.

The 1000 yard rifle would get a heavy barrel and stock to reduce recoil. Extra weight is the last thing I want on my elk rifles.

As to cartridges for elk, the .300WM is a fine choice. Used a 7mm RM for 20+ years with not problems, got a .300WM to see what I was missing. The answer was "nothing". Still, I don't find the .300 recoil objectionable and I hunt elk with it every other year or so. Still use the 7mm RM and .30-06 rifles and all have taken elk equally well.

More important than your choice of cartridge is your ability to shoot the rifle you choose well. Chances are good you will take your elk at under 300 yards and very high that you will do so under 400 yards. In my 38 hears of hunting elk, I've taken exactly one a range beyond 411 yards. That one was at 487 and, while I used a .338WM, a .308 Win or .30-06 would have done the job. I've taken elk at 411, 400 and 350 but all the others have been under 300. If my rifles are shooting into an inch or so, they are more than accurate enough at 600, which is the limit of my regular practice.

If you want to buy a rifle for $2500, go for it. I once took a .30-06 elk hunting, first time it was in the field. Due to a slip in a boulder field, it looked worse after the trip than any of my other rifles with multiple dings in the stock and scratches on the barrel, action and scope. Plus, weather can suck with wet, so I'm going more and more stainless/synthetic. Something I don't care if it gets banged up a bit.

Last edited:
I agree look at classifieds here.One my friends shoot factor sako finlight 300 wm,W ith swaro scope,dials to 1000.It holds well for a factory with his reloads. I think the distance of shot relates to your ability and terrain.Where I mainly hunted timber,on way up to timberline.With ridge running and shooting from bottom to top of ridge or over to a finger ridge.Most canyons to far 1-2 mile across.I was faced with 500 + yrd shots 20 years ago.Shot many elk in the 5-800 range. Felt like I was pushing limit on my 7mm and last 35+ been 340wby or larger 338

Last edited:

Thanks in advance
you may also look at the Remington 700 long range about 800 dollars replace trigger and a good bedding job you should be in it for about 1300 and then spent the extra on upgraded optics

Far be it for me to detour you from a new rifle.... what are you shooting now ? Ive see elk shot with a lot of different calibers, 243-338 you may already have what you need, bigger calibers don't make up for poor shooting.What ever you decide practice and practice some more. Good luck and good hunting.

you may also look at the Remington 700 long range about 800 dollars replace trigger and a good bedding job you should be in it for about 1300 and then spent the extra on upgraded optics
Far be it for me to detour you from a new rifle.... what are you shooting now ? Ive see elk shot with a lot of different calibers, 243-338 you may already have what you need, bigger calibers don't make up for poor shooting.What ever you decide practice and practice some more. Good luck and good hunting.
I've got a few in the ole safe but no 30 Caliber, 6.5 CM, .223 rock river, .243, .270 really just an excuse to go shopping. Yeah I'm wanting to spend the better part of the spring and summer dialing in

A 1000 yard rifle and an elk rifle, to me, have different requirements.

The 1000 yard rifle would get a heavy barrel and stock to reduce recoil. Extra weight is the last thing I want on my elk rifles.

As to cartridges for elk, the .300WM is a fine choice. Used a 7mm RM for 20+ years with not problems, got a .300WM to see what I was missing. The answer was "nothing". Still, I don't find the .300 recoil objectionable and I hunt elk with it every other year or so. Still use the 7mm RM and .30-06 rifles and all have taken elk equally well.

More important than your choice of cartridge is your ability to shoot the rifle you choose well. Chances are good you will take your elk at under 300 yards and very high that you will do so under 400 yards. In my 38 hears of hunting elk, I've taken exactly one a range beyond 411 yards. That one was at 487 and, while I used a .338WM, a .308 Win or .30-06 would have done the job. I've taken elk at 411, 400 and 350 but all the others have been under 300. If my rifles are shooting into an inch or so, they are more than accurate enough at 600, which is the limit of my regular practice.

If you want to buy a rifle for $2500, go for it. I once took a .30-06 elk hunting, first time it was in the field. Due to a slip in a boulder field, it looked worse after the trip than any of my other rifles with multiple dings in the stock and scratches on the barrel, action and scope. Plus, weather can suck with wet, so I'm going more and more stainless/synthetic. Something I don't care if it gets banged up a bit.
All def good points, i agree I would never shoot a. Elk at 1000 but I would like for the setup to be capable. Our outfitter told us the best chance for success on a big elk in this location in second rifle was to be dialed in for 4-500

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.