Wanted: 300 Lapua

Black eagle

I'm looking for a 300 Lapua, or 300 Raptor. My objective is to have a 30 cal point blank rifle out to 400 yds. Please advise. Thanks.

If you are wanting to buy something right now vs having something made, a 30-378 will probably be easier to find.

If you are only shooting to 400yds just about any of the 30cal's will work just fine.
You could shoot the 300wsm or 300win and get the results you want for alot less money and much cheaper to shoot.
(Heck a 308 would work at 400yds, but I won't go there since it seems you want a bit more punch)

To have a 400 yd PBR you are going to need to shoot a 180 gr bullet around 3400 fps.

Not any 30cal will work, Id like to see a 308 with pbr to 400yds. I shoot a 300wby mag now and it won't do it. Maybe you don't fully understand my objective.

What is your objective?
What are you actually planning on shooting that you can't allow for a LITTLE elevation.
PBR is all realative to the size of the target.
What is the max variance that you can handle? +/- ? inches
How much energy do you want at 400yds?
Why 30cal?

Black Eagle
Those are very nice rifles in the above link.
Should be what you are looking for.

As a LR hunter, i suggest stop looking into pointblank range and learn exterior ballistics. buy a scope with dials and print some drop charts. I really dont mean to flame anyone, but PBR is an extinct way of thinking... or so i thought.

I know exterior ballistics, I have scopes with dials, and enough drop charts to fill up the grand canyon. I'm not looking for suggestions on what I need to do, or what might work. Simply looking for a 300 Lapua or Raptor.

There are much easier and cheaper ways to get to a 400 point blank rifle using a 10" target. This does not require an over the top wildcat. You can very easily achieve a 400 PBR rifle with a 300 RUM. Much cheaper and easier.

A really hot 30 such as the 30-378 (right barrel length and twist), 30-338 Lapua IMP, 308 Warbird etc... are more like 450 yard PBR guns (10" Target).

Now if you like to play around with wildcats, etc....Then that is a different story. I used to toy with the 30-378 years ago and a buddy of mine toyed around with a 30-338 Lapua Improved. Both were beasts. Both were fun but we quickly outgrew them due to the cost of opperation and barrel replacements.

Blak Eagle
Don't take all of the suggestions personally. Sometimes we are all a little TOO Helpful,especially if we see it is a junior member. We are not trying to insult you or your plans.
We are just trying to keep someone from making the same mistakes we have made over the years.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.