want to try competition rifle shooting

hammer111

I hope this the right forum to ask this.

Ok I'm 52, and I have my hunters safety card. Have been a hunter for 34 years.

My nephew is 13, with hunters safety training too.

I'd like to try my hand at competitive shooting. We would be using rim fire ,17 hmr, 17 wsm, center fire 204 or 7mm 08. Standard set up.

Beginner stuff, bench rest, target.

I don't know where to start, I'd like to stay in Maryland, pa, maybe Delaware.

So if you could, point me in the right direction to get started. Thanks.

My email is [email protected] , if you prefer that.

I am not a competition shooter but frequent this board and another AccurateShooter.com

you may find more info there if you post about getting into competition shooting. I know there are several ranges in your area and northern Virginia. I wish you good luck in both finding info and beginning competition shooting.

Thanks for the support, I always wanted to try it it should be a blast, gun)gun)gun).

No doubt I get my info here, great info on this site.

Sounds as tho you and your kids would enjoy .22 rimfire rifle silhouette shooting. Here is my home club (St.Thomas) and further info. Close to the MD line in PA Shoots are open to the public. Silhouette matches are very competitive and fun as well.

St. Thomas Sportsmen's Association

You can go onto the NRA website and find the competition schedule for various types of events and locations. Sorry I cannot direct you to the exact thread, but googling should get you there efficiently.

That's ok . Don't think we can do much until he's out for the summer. I think we need a better 22 than my 552 bdl .

If you want to do rimfire check out RimfireCentral.com. They have a forum for online benchrest competitions done with targets you download and print. Loads of help and a great way to get your feet wet at your own pace and place.

Yep David, thanks I've been over there quite a bit.

Thanks for the offer predator. How far to the n.e. is factoryville . Is that way up there em like maple grove? I'm eastern shore Maryland near bay bridge.

I read about your club, it sounds perfect, but the distance could be a problem.

The other issue is equipment. Top of the list is a rifle, I think we may need one.

I have a question for you predator, I hope you can answer. I have older 22 semi auto Remington, and a 17hmr. Can they be used.

I think from what I'm reading, if I understand it right. It's up to the club.

Never shot paper with my Remington. Heck it hasn't been shot in 11 years. The 17hmr would be perfect. Thanks.

CZ 455's are fairly inexpensive. They shoot great. Super easy to upgrade the trigger and for $300 you can buy a Lilja barrel and have a great rifle!

Your reading my mind David, and fueling the fire. I might add. I went from a marlin to a cz, here we go.

Yep David, thanks I've been over there quite a bit.

Thanks for the offer predator. How far to the n.e. is factoryville . Is that way up there em like maple grove? I'm eastern shore Maryland near bay bridge.

I read about your club, it sounds perfect, but the distance could be a problem.

The other issue is equipment. Top of the list is a rifle, I think we may need one.

I have a question for you predator, I hope you can answer. I have older 22 semi auto Remington, and a 17hmr. Can they be used.

I think from what I'm reading, if I understand it right. It's up to the club.

Never shot paper with my Remington. Heck it hasn't been shot in 11 years. The 17hmr would be perfect. Thanks.

it's a bit of a haul from maple grove, in PA "distance" about another 1.5 hours.

i'll have to agree with the above, CZ455 is a great firearm, and not overly expensive.

i've also been very impressed with ruger's american rimfire. i like it better than savage & marlin, and just below the CZ when it comes to accuracy, feel, and "looks".

silhouette is shot with 22lr, if you are into the long range stuff, just about anything goes at the long range day event.

Gotcha. Wow a haul from maple grove, you are out there. Any further you'll be in Canada.

X20 on the cz. What would be better the varmint of the standard.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.