Want to take my rifle to the next level !

grizzlydueck

Hey everyone ! I need some ideas on what to do next for upgrades on my 7wsm mod 70 action -tunned factory trigger- laminate stock-etc I shot alot at 500 m but would like to extend that to 7oo+ last week I upgraded my dies to rcbs gold metal dies for my 7wsm- already sort my brass. hand load 154 interbonds -175 grand slams- but thinking of on round for hunting and long range shooting =168 berger Soo far i have some ideas such as getting my bolt face squared-upgrade my trigger - I have a sheppard scope for the 154 velocitys, but thinking about a cds leopold

Do anybody have any ideas ?

Squaring the boltface is of little use unless you true the action. And, truing the action means chasing the threads which means new barrel.

I'd think about a muzzle brake, Timney trigger, aftermarket stock (pillar bedded), and best possible optics for starters.

Then, save up for the whole enchilada.

-- richard

Squaring the boltface is of little use unless you true the action. And, truing the action means chasing the threads which means new barrel.

I'd think about a muzzle brake, Timney trigger, aftermarket stock (pillar bedded), and best possible optics for starters.

Then, save up for the whole enchilada.

-- richard
new optics, bed the base, new rings, upgrade the stock, muzzle brake

whats your budget?i with scott on this one.if your going to square the bolt face you might as well true the action and go with a new barrel unless your confident in the factory barrel you already have.sometimes it dosn't matter how much oney you put into everything else.i.e. trigger,action trueing,brake,ect.if you don't have a barrel that will group all of that work and money is for little gain.

A bedding job and a nice trigger really makes a rifle system. I'm not a fan of the scope you mentioned but I'm sure you will find plenty of guys that like them. Because you reload squaring the bolt face is a great idea & if you don't believe me spin your once fired brass on a turn table and the runout you induced into the casing will be noticeable.

Hello fellow B.C'er (actually Im in Alberta right now for work but cant wait to come home!). I would bed the action, get a new trigger and work up some handloads with 180 Bergers or because your probably in some thick grizz country 160 Accubonds.

Some may jump down my throat, but I would uprade optics farther than a VX-3 with CDS. I think that the whole CDS thing is marginal. If your gonna sink that much money into a scope start at the Vortex PST line and go up from there. I always budget more for the scope than the rifle. Im happy with my Mark 4 leupold, and my Viper PST but would still like to go up a level or two.

+1 on the bedding...bedding my rifles has made big differences. I like bedding with pillars and devcon epoxy. The 168 berger is a great choice, I haven't tried the 180s yet but if your barrel has the twist for it I'd try them first.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.