Want to take my rifle to the next level !

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by grizzlydueck, Mar 27, 2012.

1. grizzlydueck

grizzlydueck Member

Hey everyone ! I need some ideas on what to do next for upgrades on my 7wsm mod 70 action -tunned factory trigger- laminate stock-etc I shot alot at 500 m but would like to extend that to 7oo+ last week I upgraded my dies to rcbs gold metal dies for my 7wsm- already sort my brass. hand load 154 interbonds -175 grand slams- but thinking of on round for hunting and long range shooting =168 berger Soo far i have some ideas such as getting my bolt face squared-upgrade my trigger - I have a sheppard scope for the 154 velocitys, but thinking about a cds leopold

Do anybody have any ideas ?

2. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

Squaring the boltface is of little use unless you true the action. And, truing the action means chasing the threads which means new barrel.

I'd think about a muzzle brake, Timney trigger, aftermarket stock (pillar bedded), and best possible optics for starters.

Then, save up for the whole enchilada.

-- richard

3. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

new optics, bed the base, new rings, upgrade the stock, muzzle brake

4. bogger01

bogger01 Well-Known Member

whats your budget?i with scott on this one.if your going to square the bolt face you might as well true the action and go with a new barrel unless your confident in the factory barrel you already have.sometimes it dosn't matter how much oney you put into everything else.i.e. trigger,action trueing,brake,ect.if you don't have a barrel that will group all of that work and money is for little gain.

5. grit

grit Well-Known Member

Action bedded? Berger 180 hybrids. Tuned loads.

6. huntinco

huntinco User

A bedding job and a nice trigger really makes a rifle system. I'm not a fan of the scope you mentioned but I'm sure you will find plenty of guys that like them. Because you reload squaring the bolt face is a great idea & if you don't believe me spin your once fired brass on a turn table and the runout you induced into the casing will be noticeable.

7. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

Hello fellow B.C'er (actually Im in Alberta right now for work but cant wait to come home!). I would bed the action, get a new trigger and work up some handloads with 180 Bergers or because your probably in some thick grizz country 160 Accubonds.

Some may jump down my throat, but I would uprade optics farther than a VX-3 with CDS. I think that the whole CDS thing is marginal. If your gonna sink that much money into a scope start at the Vortex PST line and go up from there. I always budget more for the scope than the rifle. Im happy with my Mark 4 leupold, and my Viper PST but would still like to go up a level or two.

8. tmas

tmas Member

+1 on the bedding...bedding my rifles has made big differences. I like bedding with pillars and devcon epoxy. The 168 berger is a great choice, I haven't tried the 180s yet but if your barrel has the twist for it I'd try them first.