want to start reloading

krake22

hey guys im new to reloading i been hunting all my life but know one i know reloads and im dont want to pay 55 bucks for a box of 20shells anymore. like i said im new to this i need so info on where to start off.. what kinda of brand to get how much it coast is it hard jsut any info will be a big help thank you

Both redding and rcbs make great reloading video i recommend the redding one they explain how and what you need to reload i would buy that video. You can buy it just about any where. hope this helps. one thing you wont see on the video is the forester coaxl press i think it is the best one out there, or at least it is my favorite.

I would suggest starting out with just the basics like a single stage press, pour powder by hand, etc. then once you see how you like it then you can get the digital automatic powder measurers and stuff.

i would start out with a kit like this:RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit - MidwayUSA
RCBS makes great presses and you can use this for the rest of your life.

then get your re-sizing and seating die for whatever caliber you are shooting.

i would also go ahead and buy a digital scale and calipers.
calipers $13: Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper 6" Stainless Steel - MidwayUSA

scale: these are a little more expensive, but they will save you lots and lots of time over the manual scales i highly recommend getting one to start out with. here is one for like $35 (i have never used this one): Hornady GS-1500 Electronic Powder Scale 1500 Grain Capacity - MidwayUSA

here is the one i have, a little more expensive but works great $100: RCBS RangeMaster 750 Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain Capacity 110 Volt - MidwayUSA

That is what i would start out with. this is a great starting kit. then once you get the hang of it you can get some more expensive time saving stuff, like an automatic electric powder measurer, electric dechamfer debur, etc.

Last edited:
i agree with jda2631 on most of what he says. I agree about getting the master reloading kit from RCBS. Most of what you will need will be in that kit. The scale.... well this is where i dissagree with him. If your going to buy a digital scale dont get the cheapest thing out there. Remember the scale is one of the things that you are going to want to be 100% true and correct. I personally dont like the digital scale because if it gets off somehow while im reloading i dont have any way of knowing it unless you calibrate it between each measurement. I guess they work fine i just cant convince myself to use one. Anyway good luck and be patient its a long curvy road but when you shoot your first cloverleaf group at 100 yds with ammo you loaded yourself its a very good feeling.

i have the rcbs digital scale and have never had a problem with it. its never gotten off while reloading. i don't check it after every powder charge or anything like that, but every so often while loading I'll put something on it that i know the weight of, like a bullet or one of the weights and it has yet to be off. i recalibrate every time i turn it back on, but about 80% of the time its still calibrated from the last time, I'll put the weights on the scale to check, and its still on.

Im not a big fan of ''kits'', but the two best single stage presses you can get for starting out are the Hornady L-N-L & RCBS Rockchucker IMO. Both offer kits of simmilar price. Hornady kit comes with a digital scale and a free bullet offer even for 2010.(not the best bullet selection for the freebies tho) RCBS gives you the 505 scale in thier kit. From what ive hered, you dont want to use a digital scale if you load out in the garage because of temp/humidity fluctuations supposedly throw them off. I use my 505 scale,and I love my L-N-L single stage. And the 1/4 turn bushings are an awesome feature for swiching out dies with out having to mess with the lock ring. Buy a hand loading book first, and read the whole front section with how to's and pics. Very helpfull tool even if you dont re load. Hornady is still U.S. made

Last edited:
I just got outfitted myself in the last 3 months and have yet to load my 1st round (but I'm close.) I went with the RCBS Supreme Kit (around $300) but i was still surprised by how much other stuff you needed on top of the kit.
  1. Calipers
  2. Case prep tools
  3. Dies
  4. Shellholders
  5. Case trimmer
  6. Case cleaner
  7. Tumbler
  8. Primers
  9. Powder
  10. Bullets
And in my case I began building my own reloading bench:cool: When it rains it pours!
If I had to do it over again I might look a lot closer at the products by LEE & LYMAN. After seeing how much RCBS has jumped it's prices in the last 4 years I kind of feel gouged.
Even though you won't hear it as much, I've spoken with plenty of people that love the products put out by Lyman and Lee. They're top quality and last I checked are still made in the USA.

A friend gave me a DVD copy of RELOADING METALLIC CARTRIDGES...Unknown who puts it out but it's very informative for those starting out!
I purchased a DVD: ADVANCED RELOADING, BEYOND THE BASICS put out by Redding as I had not heard good things about the RCBS beginner DVD...I was not too impressed with the volume of information for the price I paid. I'm hoping it will come in handy a year or two from now:D

Buy a book called, The ABC's of reloading. Read it from front to back. When your done read it agian. Then start selecting your equipment after that. Ask every question that arises. There are no dumb questions in reloading. But there are dumb accidents because questions were never asked. After you know the info and get started, you will find alot more to reloading that just money saved. Very gratifying, and a great pastime. Good luck, have fun and be safe.

I just got started and am doing it on a shoestring. Rather than get a kit I read and read and read some more. Tried to use product reviews and shopped around for value items with the exception of an expensive press for now, and frankly the used Lee O press I'm using is working just fine. There is a reloaders shop about 50 miles away and I was able to pick up some lightly used equipment to compliment the new things I purchased and although it is a hodge-podge of brand names it all works well together for me for now.
Didn't scrimp on components and have managed to put together some loads that surprised the heck out of me how well they performed. I'm really enjoying doing it and have learned a ton from many sources, sifting through information and implimenting what seems pertinent is all part of the experience. Best wishes.

I just got outfitted myself in the last 3 months and have yet to load my 1st round (but I'm close.) I went with the RCBS Supreme Kit (around $300) but i was still surprised by how much other stuff you needed on top of the kit.
  1. Calipers
  2. Case prep tools
  3. Dies
  4. Shellholders
  5. Case trimmer
  6. Case cleaner
  7. Tumbler
  8. Primers
  9. Powder
  10. Bullets
And in my case I began building my own reloading bench:cool: When it rains it pours!
If I had to do it over again I might look a lot closer at the products by LEE & LYMAN. After seeing how much RCBS has jumped it's prices in the last 4 years I kind of feel gouged.
Even though you won't hear it as much, I've spoken with plenty of people that love the products put out by Lyman and Lee. They're top quality and last I checked are still made in the USA.

I have about 3 of everything! I have a couple of Dillons progressives, two RCBS Rockchuckers, and four lee presses. They all have something I like about them. I have to agree with you though. There is a lot of the Lee equipment that is very good and half the price. (Don't buy their shotgun stuff)

So don't be afraid to pick up a set of Lee dies and I always put in a plug for the Lee Auto Prime. It rocks (sorry Chas1):cool: it's cheap and I still haven't wore one out. (I have four of them)
It's a sickness my friend so be careful.

Good shootin'
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.