Want to reload!

BoomFlop

I would like to get into reloading for 7mm-08 and 223. I would like to know what I need to reload for these 2 calibers only. I know I would like to load 120 BT in the 7mm-08 for sure.

Is there a kit with everything I need, am I better to buy the bare minimum instead? I only probably shoot a few hundred rounds a year so time savings is not a requirement. I want to reload bullets not available in factory ammo at the performance level I would like.

Thank you so much for your time!

Steve

Get a rockchucker kit, the dies are sold separately. I recommend the kit with a balance scale instead of the cheap electronic scale. It's a basic setup but it will work just fine.
Get some cartridge specific Lee case trimmers/length gauge.

I started with the lee kit, and little by little I have been replacing things, for others of more quality.
for example the balance, trimmer,etc.
I do not say that this kit does not work, but every time you look for more precision and you need better things.
today I would have bought everything separately.

Fore bare minimum, you don't even need the kit. I have a few presses, and a automatic powder dispenser that, once the powder is dispensed, I then check on a separate balance scale. Not needed though, but it does speed up the weighing of powder charges.

To start as simply as possible, you need a press, dies, shell holder, powder scale, something to clean your fired brass with, lube, loading manuals/instruction books, and components (brass, primers, powder, bullets).

I have a Hornady decapping die to remove the primer- first step is deprime all fired brass, then I sonic clean and dry (I have an annealing machine on the way that will go into the process after the sonic clean, but it's not here yet). Then lube and resize (need dies for this), then clean again in a vibratory cleaner. Then prime, add powder, then seat bullet (need dies for this).

This could minimally be accomplished with the following:
  • RCBS Rockchucker press
  • RCBS #3 shell holder (7mm-08)
  • RCBS #10 shell holder (.223 Rem)
  • Die set of your choosing for 7mm-08 (2 die set with at least a FL sizing/decapping die and seating die- neck size die optional)
  • Die set of your choosing for .223 Rem (2 die set with at least a FL sizing/decapping die and seating die- neck size die optional)
  • Case lube (I like the Hornady One-Shot spray)
  • Reloading tray (to hold your cases upright while you put powder in them)
  • Brass cleaning device (vibratory are fairly cheap) and media (walnut, corn cobb, etc.)
  • Hand priming tool (I have the RCBS universal and it works well for .243win up to .300wm for me)
  • Powder funnel
  • Balance scale
  • Reloading manuals and instruction books!!!
  • Components (brass, powder, primers, bullets)
You could use a simple setup of measuring spoons to scoop powder into the balance scale tray...slow, but it works. As I stated before, I also have a dedicated decapping die for both small and large rifle primers- I run my fired brass through this when I get home from the range and then clean it. Keeps dirt/residue from getting into my sizing dies- and I've removed the decapping stem from the sizing dies since I don't need it with the other dedicated decapping dies.

Handloading is a rabbit hole- you can spend a lot and have a fairly automated setup with specific tools for each job, or you can spend less and have a more general setup, but either work to produce consistent rounds. Have fun!

Last edited:
I have a hornady lock n load classic kit. Really like the press and everything except the electronic scale. It's getting on my nerves. Prolly upgrade that to something more reliable. But other than that it's great.

I have a hornady lock n load classic kit. Really like the press and everything except the electronic scale. It's getting on my nerves. Prolly upgrade that to something more reliable. But other than that it's great.
DOes your electronic scale dump too much coarse powder out?

I was given the advice to not get a kit when I first started. That was the best advice I've been given.

Shooters pro shop has free shipping with orders over $99 until October 1.

You can buy whatever brand of kit that you want to, but you also need to buy a trimmer eventually. Any of the kits will do the job although ive always been partial to rcbs and redding. Rcbs has impeccable customer service. Im not saying others dont but i have personal experience with rcbs service. If I were you I would get a friend to help walk you through the reloading process for the first time. If you don't have a friend that reloads you are more than welcome to call me with questions. If you want to send me a pm and I will give you my number.

If going with a kit and it doesn't include calipers, you'll need to get that separately.

Before you know it, you'll be going to the range to shoot your ammo just to get more brass.

Varget powder for the 7mm-08 NBT! I get 3120 fps. A marriage made in Heaven!
You can get a Lee Annjversary Kit for starters... around 100 bucks. Then dies.
I loaded many thousands of rounds with that kit.
Or... you can go with a RCBS kit or the like and be done with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.