Want to know if I'm getting a good deal.

7man

Friend of mine said he'll give me a hell of a deal.

He'll sell me a set of used reloading dies and 100 rounds of once fired 30-06 brass for $50.00

Good deal?

All depends on the quality of the Brass. You'll do good to find out how many times it's been loaded. Also, how hot were they loaded.

What brand of dies, are they rusty or well taken care of? You can get a brand new set of Hornady or RCBS dies for around $40. Rem or Win Brass (brand new) is about $45/100. Norma is more expensive.

If the brass has only been fired a couple times, and the dies are fairly clean and taken care of; You're probably getting a good/fair deal IMO.

Last edited:
Every time I got a good deal on brass I''ve had to go through it a cull it. I usually loose several pieces. Now I'm talking about rnage Brass. I used to live closer to a Large shooting range (this was 10 yrs ago) and they had range brass in 5 gallon buckets. They sorted by caliber/cartridge. I was after 7mm Rem Mag brass at that time and I could get it for 10 cents per case. I bought the whole bucket. That wa a good deal, but I lost 25% of the brass for numerous reasons, mostly because of chamber variations. At that time I didn't know about small base dies and I still don't know if they even exhist for the 7 mag. Still It was a good deal and sever hundred rounds are still in service with my friend's and my fathers rifle.

Now a days it does sound like a good deal, as SBruce stated as long as the Dies are in good shape.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.