Want to build a 6.5x284 Norma

scoutm

Total newbie here so please forgive what will more than likely be very fundemental questions.

I need to find a donor rifle that I can start with. I'm assuming that a LA would be the best choice but not sure. I also don't know if I should be looking for a magnum such as a 7mm mag or standard non-magnum action.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

I prefer the long action for the 6.5-284. You want a standard bolt face not the magnum. So 25-06, 270, 280, 30-06, 35 Whelen are the donors you are looking for.

Speaking from experience, you do NOT want a short action for a 6.5x284. It needs a standard LA.

Savage has a few different offerings in 6.5x284 that will serve your purpose. They offer it in a short action single shot target action, and a couple different models in long action hunting models. Might be worth a look. I really enjoy shooting my Savage rifles.

Tank

Savage has a few different offerings in 6.5x284 that will serve your purpose. They offer it in a short action single shot target action, and a couple different models in long action hunting models. Might be worth a look. I really enjoy shooting my Savage rifles.

Tank

Thanks. I hadn't considered Savage but i will take a look.

I have a Kimber 8400 (Hate the rifle) like the action was thinking of using it as a donor. Also considering both Rem 700 and a pre-64 (non-collectible condition) a buddy might be willing to part with.

Any suggestions on actions would be much appreciated. Made the decisions on all other components - at least I hope I have. One could go crazy wilth all the choices to be made.

Thanks.

You can buy a factory Savage and start shooting.

Or, you can buy a Savage donor and get a pre-chambered barrel and build it yourself.

Or, you'll need to find a smith that'll work on whatever donor action you come up with. Many smiths will only work on 700's. ...but, don't let that discourage you. Model 70 and Kimber are great actions.

Depending on your budget and final objective, it's often not that much more to start with a custom action which is already blueprinted.

Be thankful you live in a country where you have so many options.
-- richard

Usually the cheapest and best way to accuracy is using a rem 700 action and a krieger barrel.. my 6.5-284 are off of a long action.

Usually the cheapest way to accuracy is a stock savage. The 2nd cheapest is a savage barrel you screw on yourself and an at home truing. Sorry ron couldnt resist. Check savage shooters for at home accurizing. All the screw ons Ive done shoot under 1/2 moa and cost under $750. Most of them are in the .2 and .3s for under $750. Sorry but the savage is the cheap god of guns and if you do a day or so of work its really stupid the $$$ you save over a rem or other.

I found a Savage 12 BVSS (number indicates SA but it's a LA) in 6.5-284Norma in Virginia for $631.99 out the door. I cleaned the barrel, loaded 5 100gn NBT (all I had), use the first two to get on paper and the next three went in to a .327" groups at 100yds. What happened to barrel break in?! This thing has been impressive since day one. Not sure but I've heard Savage will build a rifle (their parts) to your liking.
Nothing wrong with Remington's and WInchester's, if they're accurate. I got one each but Savage has been an easier row to hoe and I 've got two of them. JohnnyK.

I just screwed on a McGowen 6.5x.284 barrel to a Savage action I had laying around. Put it all on a Boyd's stock for 85 bucks and it is crazy accurate. We shoot clay pigeons from 500 to 800 yards.
Pretty fun to go out where people are shooting them at 100 yards and having a hard time hitting them and put some up at 600 yards along with a couple of small water bottles. People start watching after you go four in four shots and then start blowing up water bottles. I think I have about $600.00 bucks in the whole thing and it shoots under 1/2 moa. I have a lot more money in other rifles that don't shoot as good.
My Remington's that shoot almost as good were double the money. I really do like the Jewel triggers, I wish they made them to fit a Savage.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.