Walt Berger passed away Sept 19, 2021.

xsn10s

It was posted on Berger Bullets FB page that Walt Berger has passed on. Copied and pasted from Berger's FB page.

"It is with our deepest regrets that we announce the passing of Berger Bullets & Ammunition founder, Walter Berger. Walt passed peacefully on Sunday afternoon September 19th, 2021, surrounded by friends and family at the age of 92.
"If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing right," were words that Walt lived by; one could see it in how he treated friends and family, and in his impact on the shooting world.
Walt's legacy and dedication to quality is carried on by his grandson, David Hamilton, the Plant Manager of the Berger manufacturing facility in Mesa, Arizona. Walt's philosophies and business practices are the guiding principles in our mission to ensure that products bearing the Berger name continue to be something Walt would be proud of. We celebrate his life and will do our best to live up to his example."

Last edited:
Many years ago when Bergers were just getting popular I worked up a load for 185 gr Berger's hunting bullet and had a bad experience.The bullet made a pencil hole in the mule deer and I chased that deer several miles before he bled out.
I called the Berger phone number and spoke to an elderly gentleman and told him my story and asked why did the bullet not expand.
That gentleman spoke to me for an hour and it was the most enlightening phone call I ever had.He knew more about what a bullet can do and will do and should do than anyone I have ever spoken to.He asked me to go get the bullets and look at the hollow tips.Most were bent so he said they are fixing that as when the bullets 185 gr bullets drop they all drop in the same basket and that's what they were improving on.He also said to open the hollow points with a drill bit.He sent me a new box of bullets and a small drill bit to make sure the hollow points were fully opened.
He answered the phone as WALT!

Was lucky enough to have met him at the southwest winter shoot here in Phoenix at the Ben Avery Range. Very personable and humble. DJ, I recall he told John Burns "they shoot where you aim em"! Glad their manufacturing has left the restrictive confines of California and moved here to Mesa, Az.
RIP to a fine gentleman.

Years ago my youngest son had a 1-11 twist 270 WSM heavy barrel that he was trying to shoot long range with. While I had taught him to reload at an early age we were not as experienced as we are now. Anyway he had bought some Bergers and they would not shoot. He called Berger Bullets and got some data and tips from them. He began to get his rifle dialed in and one day I heard him talking on the phone to Berger relaying his success. When he got off the phone I asked what they had said and his answer was Mr. Berger had asked him to report back to him how his shooting had went. They had several conversations over the years.
Walt Berger took the time to help a young man become a successful long range hunter. we still shoot Berger's today. When I hear about a gun that the owner can't get to shoot well, I always ask have you tried Berger's yet.
Walt Berger was a great man who inspired us all to be better shooters!
He was a Icon in our sport who advanced it one bullet at a time. May his family know that he will be sorely missed. RIP
Henry