walnut or corncob

I switched to corn cob because it seems to leave less dusty residue on the cases. Maybe I just had a bad batch of walnut, but my cases came out very dusty.

I was using corncob, but got tired of picking the little bits out of my primer pockets, so I switched over to walnut.

Stainless Tumbling Media and in love. Clean inside and out including the primer pockets. Always comes out looking like unfired brass.

Jeff

Stainless Tumbling Media and in love. Clean inside and out including the primer pockets. Always comes out looking like unfired brass.

Jeff

Wow, even the pockets get cleaned?

That would save me a step in the load process if I could get them clean when tumbling. Walnut has never done any good in the primer pockets for me.

Wow, even the pockets get cleaned?

That would save me a step in the load process if I could get them clean when tumbling. Walnut has never done any good in the primer pockets for me.

Yes, the brass looks nearly new. Clean and shiny inside and out. I was so impressed when Broz showed me a batch he had just cleaned... I ordered my own STM kit. Should be here this afternoon.

--md

One thing I have noticed with the SS media is if you tumble 3 to 4 hours the media will ping the neck edge so you will have to clean up the lip before you seat a bullet. I ran into this problem when seating bullets in very tight seating die, the neck expanded enough that I couldn't seat the bullets in the case. Camfering the lip with a tool fixed that.
db

One thing I have noticed with the SS media is if you tumble 3 to 4 hours the media will ping the neck edge so you will have to clean up the lip before you seat a bullet. I ran into this problem when seating bullets in very tight seating die, the neck expanded enough that I couldn't seat the bullets in the case. Camfering the lip with a tool fixed that.
db

Do you think it pinged it enough to cause premature neck hardening?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.