walnut or corncob

@SB
I don't think so. On other cases I load for factory chambers, I don't bother camfering the neck. Others that have noticed this problem suggest less tumbling time like two hours. The reason I went SS was the way it cleaned the inside of the case. This is the only way I have seen to clean the inside. I've tried chemicals and nothing I have used will remove carbon from inside the case like SS will.
db

I have never seen an ill effect from cleaning with the SSM. I run them for 4 hrs. I always deprime then clean. That gives me a perfectly clean case to size and no carbon on the necks to interfere with the bushing. My last step is always chamfer for a smooth bullet seating. I lay the cases out on paper towels them blot to dry. Then they go into a loading block necks down to dry for a day or so. Or, they go right to the annealer where they are dried in the annealing process.

And yes!! never have to touch a primer pocket. They look new!!

Worth every penny, consistent clean and pretty.

Jeff

@7mm,
After seperating the SS from the cases, I give them a couple quick shakes, roll them in a towel and set them on the ceramic stovetop and heat. Some will let them Sun dry whick is ok, just not quick enough for me.
db

The SSM systems look sweet but with our first baby on the way, my wife seems to think I should be helping save for cribs and diapers and not new stainless media cleaning systems. Women! :rolleyes: And seeing as how a new Redding competition die set is sitting at the top of the priority list, I'm curious if a guy could get away with using the stainless media in one of the Harbor Freight type tumblers. I saw where SSM said 'no' because they're round and not hexagon, but I'm curious if this is not 'ideal' or truly a deal breaker. Any thoughts?

I've also found an older Thumblers Tumbler locally but the tumbler bin appears to be pretty small - like maybe 2/3's that of an old coffe can. Would this be too small? Surely couldn't run 50 rounds through it at once.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Don't know if round would work or not...the smaller tumbler should work, you would have to reduce the amount of brass and SS you could put in.
db

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts