Wall tent choices?

Plowboy85

I am not sure if this is the proper forum for this but I didn't see another section that fit. The group of fellas is looking at purchasing a good wall tent for everything from spring turkey hunts to late rifle hunts. It will likely be 4-6 good size boys and gear. We will have a stove in it plus our bags so we are thinking something along the 18x23 Montana Canvas 12oz or 18x24 Bravo SuperGrade, likely we will have a cool shack attached. So my questions are what are the pros and cons of each manufacturer? I noticed Bravo has the side exhaust, any significant reason for that? This will be our first wall tent so feel free to provide any guidance or suggestions. Davis Tent comes up in discussion a lot but they seem to be lesser price and can't seem to find out why, we were assuming they were not has strong as the aforementioned brands.

You might want to check out the reviews for the Cabela's Alaknak and Bighorn series tents. I have the original model Bighorn and my friend uses the 12x12 Alaknak, both with stove jacks. We've field tested the tent material for these in everything from hot to freezing, and they've proven their toughness in a package much lighter than standard frame canvas tents.

You might want to check out the reviews for the Cabela's Alaknak and Bighorn series tents. I have the original model Bighorn and my friend uses the 12x12 Alaknak, both with stove jacks. We've field tested the tent material for these in everything from hot to freezing, and they've proven their toughness in a package much lighter than standard frame canvas tents.
Yes sir, I'll check them out.

Any significant reason for your choice?

yessir. sodcloth options, ridgevent style and end/wall stovejack option. I'll never have a roof exit pipe EVER again. I don't like the prophylactic-looking ridgepole 'socks' on the Davis and others, and a sodcloth is a must. The Beckel reinforcement areas suit me. When I bought my last one, green canvas was what I went with. Blends into the surroundings better than white..... I don't need every guy on the mountain seeing my camp easily.

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

hunt017.jpg

HPIM3161reduced.jpg

HPIM3132reduced.jpg

18.jpg

Last edited:
I am not sure if this is the proper forum for this but I didn't see another section that fit. The group of fellas is looking at purchasing a good wall tent for everything from spring turkey hunts to late rifle hunts. It will likely be 4-6 good size boys and gear. We will have a stove in it plus our bags so we are thinking something along the 18x23 Montana Canvas 12oz or 18x24 Bravo SuperGrade, likely we will have a cool shack attached. So my questions are what are the pros and cons of each manufacturer? I noticed Bravo has the side exhaust, any significant reason for that? This will be our first wall tent so feel free to provide any guidance or suggestions. Davis Tent comes up in discussion a lot but they seem to be lesser price and can't seem to find out why, we were assuming they were not has strong as the aforementioned brands.
I have 3 Montana canvas set ups and to me they are the best out

No Frame they did the opening in end for me so we could use logs which works best up here they are all 12x14. Also have 1-spike 12x12 and a older base camp they do nice work

We use 4 Davis, and 6 Montana canvas tents in our outfitting business. Davis in my opinion still builds the best tent for packing horseback. We use ours from August through November. In high mountain heavy snow country.

My good friend has his wall tent for sale and stored in my shop. If you are interested please let me know. The tent is in Northern Utah, almost Idaho. I have used it and it is nice and in good shape. The stove exhaust is in the roof, that I recall very well.

Last edited:
I chose and have been happy with my 15' X 18' Bravo tent. I chose it mainly for the heavily reinforced seams and high wind capability. John, the owner, fixes a lot of other brand tents so he learned what works and what doesn't early on.

Attachments

• COEL7010.JPG
    COEL7010.JPG
    890.5 KB · Views: 275
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.